Question Framedrops/Stutters every 30 seconds or so on multiple games. Feel like i’ve tried everything. Please help

Oct 4, 2023
Feel I’m losing my mind slightly with my new PC. Ever since I got the PC, I felt that it has been inconsistent, sometimes running perfectly at the start with no hiccups at all, then they start up again, then I come back on later potentially and they’re gone etc. Now I can’t seem to play without frame drops. I have a RTX 4070 and Intel i5. 16 GB RAM. Playing on 144 HZ 2560x1440 monitor. I have the latest drivers installed and have tweaked SO many settings in game and in Nvidia to eliminate any issues. I will be getting around 130 Fps on Warzone for example and then approx every 20/30 seconds (sometimes it’s quicker than this) I will have a stutter/frame drop and fall down to 40 for a second or so. I tried on Apex, same thing from 240 to 100 or so, it obviously jolts the gameplay around and ruins the entire experience. I think the main issue could be my connection, but I have tried both ethernet and wifi and it’s the same, my ethernet is even a CAT 8 and wifi has a booster in the room? I also have ran a speed test and it’s all good, plus every game i’m playing on around 10-20ms, and that doesn’t even spike when I have these issues. I’m just so confused and unsure what else I can try now. It’s hard not knowing exactly where the issues lies. Any help massively appreciated :)

Ralston18

Titan
May not be a GPU problem per se.

More information needed.

This:

"my ethernet is even a CAT 8 and wifi has a booster in the room".

What is printed along the length of the CAT 8 cable and what is the make and model of that wifi booster. How is the booster connected to the Router?

= = = =

Replace the Cat 8 cable with a known working (at speed) Cat 5e or 6. Cat 8 gains you nothing and is very likely to be fake or substandard.

Ethernet cables should be UTP, round, AWG 22-24, and pure copper. (No copper clad aluminum.)

Also verifiy that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled on your new PC.

Not two network adapters at the same time.

Another thing to do is to disable IPv6. IPv6 can be problematic.

= = =

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retype everything.

Oct 4, 2023
Hi, thanks for these suggestions!

Yeah so the CAT 8 I just literally brought off Amazon yesterday as it had good reviews and I thought maybe that's what's causing the issues, my mindset being that the PC is a lot more demanding than my XBOX, as I didn't have connection issues using ethernet with that. The wifi booster is BT.

I've checked settings and looks to me that only ethernet is connected and there's not two network adapters. The PC doesn't have built in Wifi so I use the Wifi adapters if I'm trying that out.

Really unsure how to disable IPv6 as well, I'm really not clued up in this world. I just wanted a great gaming PC and I thought I had that, for about a week!

Results from Command Prompt - kinda a noob here and unsure what I should share also so not feeling comfortable with sharing my IP address on this thread. Sorry :)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-4LF1L3H
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

May not be a GPU problem per se.

More information needed.

This:

"my ethernet is even a CAT 8 and wifi has a booster in the room".

What is printed along the length of the CAT 8 cable and what is the make and model of that wifi booster. How is the booster connected to the Router?

= = = =

Replace the Cat 8 cable with a known working (at speed) Cat 5e or 6. Cat 8 gains you nothing and is very likely to be fake or substandard.

Ethernet cables should be UTP, round, AWG 22-24, and pure copper. (No copper clad aluminum.)

Also verifiy that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled on your new PC.

Not two network adapters at the same time.

Another thing to do is to disable IPv6. IPv6 can be problematic.

= = =

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retype everything.

Oct 4, 2023
FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970#:~:text=When a device such as,with a public IP address.

You can easily find other similar links on the internet.

= = = =

As a starting point "ipconfig" is one way to determine if multiple network adapters are enabled.

Plus identify other network related configuration settings.

And what is that "wifi booster is BT" adapter? Make and model?
Wifi Booster is what BT the internet provider sent out to me.

What really confuses me is that this didn’t used to happen like this, and now it randomly does and has consistently today.

I ran User Benchmark as all were in green, apart from latency. But nothing has changed there?

Ralston18

Titan
Any make and model information on the box?

Could be interference and/or congestion on the wifi frequency and channel.

What is the local environment: apartment, dorm, stand alone home? Someplace/somewhere where there are likely to be surrounding wireless networks?

Try Microsoft's Wifi Analyzer (free):

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/wifi-analyzer/9NBLGGH33N0N

Requires some time and effort to get a sense of how to navigate the tool and understand the information being provided.

The initial requirement simply being to discover how many networks are sharing the same frequency and channel of your network. After that then signal strength may be an issue.

= = = =

Is the current connectivity something like the following line diagram where ---> respresents an Ether net cable?

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Ports] ---> Wireless booster BT and other [LAN ports] --->wired devices

Plus ~~~wireless ~~~ > Wireless network devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary. Include make and model information for network devices.

TRENDING THREADS