Question Frametime spikes and stuttering on an AMD setup ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
It might be best to backup everything you want to keep, and do a fresh format of Windows, using the latest version available from Microsoft's media creation tool.
really? why do you think its worse now?

can you point me to a guide on how to do that? i want to be sure i do it properly.

Thank you

logainofhades

Titan
I forgot to ask something important. What is the make/model of your power supply?
Did you use DDU to remove your graphics and chipset drivers before installing latest versions?

If windows reinstall is the last route we have to take, then here is a guide.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfA89wv_14

You will need to backup anything you want to keep to another drive be it an internal or external one.

Reactions: PauloSilva93
I see the problem, the game is not demanding for your GPU. So now the GPU clock speed drops on certain scenes. Try manually clocking your GPU to stay above 1800mhz. I had the same problem with my 7900xtx on certain games.

On Nvidia GPU's you set power management mode in the manage 3d settings to "Prefer Maximum Performance" to maintain full clock speed at the expense of idle electricity.

For Radeon gpu's you have to set a range. I would try to keep the clock speed between 1800 to 2250mhz on your 6800xt.

Reactions: PauloSilva93

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
I forgot to ask something important. What is the make/model of your power supply?
Did you use DDU to remove your graphics and chipset drivers before installing latest versions?

If windows reinstall is the last route we have to take, then here is a guide.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfA89wv_14

You will need to backup anything you want to keep to another drive be it an internal or external one.
no i didn´t use DDU, i simply updated them;

my psu is a corsair RM850x

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
I see the problem, the game is not demanding for your GPU. So now the GPU clock speed drops on certain scenes. Try manually clocking your GPU to stay above 1800mhz. I had the same problem with my 7900xtx on certain games.

On Nvidia GPU's you set power management mode in the manage 3d settings to "Prefer Maximum Performance" to maintain full clock speed at the expense of idle electricity.

For Radeon gpu's you have to set a range. I would try to keep the clock speed between 1800 to 2250mhz on your 6800xt.
how do i do that? what should i do first? the windows reinstall or your thing?

thanks