Question Frametime Spikes in Game

apache1027

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this question, but I figure it might be a gpu related issue. I've noticed this problem in most FPS games, and even on my old system before I upgraded. I've also tried googling, but the most I could find is issues related to micro-stuttering, and I think this is different. So here is the issue, I'll use apex legends as my reference game:

I am able to run the game at a stable 138 fps for the majority of the time, and the frametime graph is fairly stable (i.e. I don't notice the game stuttering 99% of the time). The issue is that I will have a sudden freeze for a few milliseconds (very noticeable amount of time especially for a FPS) before the game catches up. Generally I will have a sudden but very short framerate drop and matching frametime spike when it does freeze. I also notice that it tends to happen when I aim down sights or whip the camera around very suddenly. To help picture this issue, I will see an enemy and ADS, then I will see that initial ADS frame for a certian amount of time and then the game will instantly catch up. The player is in a different spot and i do not see the frames of the player moving or my weapon finishing the ADS animation that were skipped. I am already zoomed in on the spot I initially tried to zoom in on. If anyone knows how I can word this issue so I can research it or give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

System specs:
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: asus 1080ti OC (mem: ~2600 mhz core: 2063 mhz)
RAM: 16gb ddr4 @3200 mhz
Monitor: 1440p 144hz gysnc

I am using RTSS to limit framerate to 138 and i am monitoring frametime and framerate graphs.

apache1027

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
The ram and GPU are overclocked. I did try stock GPU settings, but I didn't reset the ram in the bios yet. I'll give that a shot.

Edit: For the ram, by OC i mean that it's running at its rated speed with the setting in bios. XMP i think?

The ram and GPU are overclocked. I did try stock GPU settings, but I didn't reset the ram in the bios yet. I'll give that a shot.

Edit: For the ram, by OC i mean that it's running at its rated speed with the setting in bios. XMP i think?

In that case the ram should be fine. You could try running it a lower speed after trying other stuff, just to see if it has an impact.

Make sure to update drivers, GPU and system drivers. Clean install for the GPU. Do a bios update too and just rule out some simple things. It;s possible RTSS and limiting the frames may cause the issue. Try without any external settings, and only with the nvidia driver and maybe MSI afterburner to monitor some in game metrics.