Question Frametime spikes - normal or am I just paranoid ?

amarynth

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm pretty broken, I've been going through a real ordeal for several weeks now and I don't know what to do next. But I'd better start from the beginning:

It all started with Egosoft's X4, which I noticed was stuttering every now and then. At first I thought to myself: “Well, occasionally, it happens, never mind”. Then it bothered me and I worked my way through the settings: No difference. I gave up, I kept seeing the stuttering.

I decided to play “Suicide Squad - Kill the Justice League”: I quickly regretted the decision, it was a stutterfest - but not all the time, just: occasionally in the cutscenes - until I reached the city and then: boom. And here too: Raytracing on, raytracing off, DLSS, resolution down, up, it didn't matter: the frametime spikes came. I could play around and by combining some settings I could manage to get the spikes almost vanishing, but they were there still, even if rarely. That frustrated me, so I switched to Guardians of the Galaxy and... well, I saw it there too, although not so often, rather rarely.

Then I played Doom Eternal - all on Ultra, again: occasional spikes. It could be normal, who knows, but I sometimes had it in the fights. The now trained eye saw that. It also saw it in “Pacific Drive”, “Elite Dangerous”, “Warframe” and, albeit very rarely, in Furmark and in the 3D Mark stress test (the last test version, I think it's called “Nomad”).

I have the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor at 4.20 GHz
MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi, AMD B650
RAM G.Skill Flare X5, DDR5-6000, CL32, AMD EXPO - 32 GB dual kit
Gfx ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 TUF O24G, 24576 MB GDDR6X
NVME Lexar NM790 NVMe SSD, PCIe 4.0 M.2 type 2280 - 4 TB
Power supply be quiet! Straight Power 12 Power supply 80 PLUS Platinum, ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 - 1000 Watt
OS Win 11
Monitor 1 Aorus FV43U (Main, 144 Hz, DisplayPort, HDR Off, Freesync off)
Monitor 2 LG IPS FullHD (HDMI, 60 Hz)
All custom water cooled, temperatures are stable at max 75°C GPU temp max

I did the following:
  • Deactivated unnecessary programs (esp. MSI Center)
  • Disabled unnecessary devices
  • Disabled internal GPU and sound
  • Installation on C or D (in both over 1 TB free memory)
  • Activation of compatibility mode
  • Only with one monitor (second monitor unplugged)
  • Temperature check: All nominal at 60 degrees Max GPU
  • Mouse polling rate set to 500
  • In Game: DLSS deactivated, ray tracing deactivated, VSynch deactivated, frame rate limited to 60, 100, 143
  • NVidi settings: GSync deactivated
  • Energy saving plan High performance
  • Graphics card update
  • Chipset driver update
  • BIOS update (settings previously screenshotted accordingly) - not reset after the update
  • BIOS Expo activated, Rebar activated, Rebar deactivated
  • BIOS deactivation fTPM, RGB Control
  • Energy saving plan -> Processor energy management: Min from 0 to 100, all on "Ultimate" power plan
  • Disable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows

Maybe one of you has an idea, maybe everything is very normal and I'm just paying special attention, being paranoid. But I wonder if something is dying on the computer. I'm running out of energy myself. I've been an enthusiastic computer gamer since I was 12 (and yes, the C64 and the Amiga were computers! :) ). But slowly I can't do it anymore...

Sorry for all the text, I am really frustrated by now, this is going on for several weeks and I am simply at the end of everything :(

Thank you, whoever has an idea :(

Ama