News Framework disses other PC makers about overuse of AI branding

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Framework’s current laptop offerings already have AI capabilities. The Framework Laptop 16 can be had with a Ryzen 7 7840HS or a Ryzen 9 7940HS, with both chips capable of hitting 10 TOPS. On the other hand, you can pick between the Intel Core Ultra 5 125H, Ultra 7 155H, or the Ultra 7 165H process for the smaller Framework Laptop 13, with the best Intel chip capable of hitting up 34 TOPS.

To put this statement in perspective, Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 processor that is used in the Samsung S24 also produces 34 TOPS, the same rating as Intel's best laptop chip.

Reactions: peachpuff

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
They could just make a decent laptop…
What do you not like about their laptops?

The only thing I can think of is keyboard and trackpad options. I want a keyboard with the red nub thinkpads use, but there is no option for that.
I know some people prefer physical L/M/R buttons on the trackpad, instead of having one giant piece of glass.

The problem with AI now is that the AI you want isn't free or it doesn't exist. I want AI in Microsoft 365 so I can easily create templates and such, but it's $20 a month. I want Photoshop's AI to perfect my pictures, but it's $20 a month. I want AI to take my sub-1080p videos and upsample them to 1080p or even 4k, but I don't think that exists yet for consumers. I want AI to intelligently scan (locally) all my pictures and properly tag them for content, but it doesn't exist.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley
I'm pretty sure there exists some free software out there that does it.
But.. All may not be available for Windows or MacOS, and may not be the easiest to use...

There's software that can do it, Handbrake or its easier to use front end VidCoder, is probably the most popular, but I mean the actual "AI" like you see Photoshop doing with photos and the like, basically the kind of tech Hollowood has been using for years to do 4K remasters of films, not the more simple kind of tech like nVidia's RTX Super Resolution.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
To put this statement in perspective, Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 processor that is used in the Samsung S24 also produces 34 TOPS, the same rating as Intel's best laptop chip.
There have been more obvious applications for AI in smartphones, mainly because of the portability and rear-facing camera (e.g. AR capabilities like pointing your phone at text, and it's auto translated on the screen).

What do you not like about their laptops?

The only thing I can think of is keyboard and trackpad options. I want a keyboard with the red nub thinkpads use, but there is no option for that.
I know some people prefer physical L/M/R buttons on the trackpad, instead of having one giant piece of glass.
They’re overpriced, not really that repairable be other laptops and are counter intuitive in terms of environmental goals

They make overpriced laptops they cost more than a base MacBook Air yet are slower with poorer at pretty much everything. You can get the same spec of laptop for significantly less
But you can easily repair, upgrade and personalize this laptop versus pretty much any other laptop on the market. There is also never a bad product, just a bad price.

Reactions: KyaraM
But you can easily repair, upgrade and personalize this laptop versus pretty much any other laptop on the market. There is also never a bad product, just a bad price.
You can do that with most laptops. Cksndeidnt this one isn’t a thin and light it’s about as repairable as most of those in its form factor

The mainboard, to which the ports of the “repairable laptop” are soldered, costs the same as a new laptop. Even apple doesn’t solder ports to the mainboard.

You can do that with most laptops. Cksndeidnt this one isn’t a thin and light it’s about as repairable as most of those in its form factor

The mainboard, to which the ports of the “repairable laptop” are soldered, costs the same as a new laptop. Even apple doesn’t solder ports to the mainboard.
There exists no laptop that is as upgradeable or have as much ease of repairability as a Framework laptop, especially if you look at forward facing compatibility.

Last edited:
There exists no laptop that is as upgradeable or have as much ease of repairability as a Framework laptop, especially if you look at forward facing compatibility.
Literally every laptop of that form factor can be upgraded the same and parts found for it cheaply. It’s also less repairable than a MacBook.

What’s the point in forwards facing compatibility if it’s more expensive than just buying a whole new laptop? Like the main board for a framework is a grand. You know how much one is for my MacBook Pro with a significantly better SoC? Less than half of the cost.

Literally every laptop of that form factor can be upgraded the same and parts found for it cheaply. It’s also less repairable than a MacBook.

What’s the point in forwards facing compatibility if it’s more expensive than just buying a whole new laptop? Like the main board for a framework is a grand. You know how much one is for my MacBook Pro with a significantly better SoC? Less than half of the cost.
MacBook's have riveted keyboards, what are you talking about? You cant repair that. Buying the best possible mainboard is 1000 dollars, where as the vast majority of their replacements are less than 600 dollars... You are also not allowed to replace parts on Apple products yourself without voiding your warranty or spending hundreds in labor at their authorized repair shops which also usually come with days to weeks of down time, and even if you do, often times this comes with features being disabled because the replacement part does not match the old one. Framework has fast shipping and do not void warranties for replacing parts in the laptops.

MacBook's have riveted keyboards, what are you talking about? You cant repair that. Buying the best possible mainboard is 1000 dollars, where as the vast majority of their replacements are less than 600 dollars... You are also not allowed to replace parts on Apple products yourself without voiding your warranty or spending hundreds in labor at their authorized repair shops which also usually come with days to weeks of down time, and even if you do, often times this comes with features being disabled because the replacement part does not match the old one. Framework has fast shipping and do not void warranties for replacing parts in the laptops.
You just replace the panel? It’s not that difficult.

No, the vast majority are previous gen, and beyond previous gen, stock that they haven’t moved and keep dropping the price of. An upgrade to current gen costs 1000 or more.

You’re years out of date. You can buy apple parts yourself from their self repair service, doesn’t void the warranty and any software pairing can be done with a call to support.

You just replace the panel? It’s not that difficult.
Replace the entire top plate of the laptop because my A key stopped working, got it. Also, that's a multi-hundred dollar repair to do that.

No, the vast majority are previous gen, and beyond previous gen, stock that they haven’t moved and keep dropping the price of. An upgrade to current gen costs 1000 or more.
We are talking about the ability to repair the laptop not buy the latest and greatest main board for a laptop that is out of warranty. You cannot have gotten a Framework laptop with the 1000 dollar mainboards that is out of warranty to eat the cost of the mainboard replacement. If you need to buy a new mainboard you would logically be out of your warranty, thus a 1000 dollar mainboard would be for an upgrade and a repair...
You’re years out of date. You can buy apple parts yourself from their self repair service, doesn’t void the warranty and any software pairing can be done with a call to support.
This is partially true. You can order parts, but odds are you either void the warranty installing them or you break something in the process out of warranty because these product are built to be as hard as possible, within some reason, to self service repair. What you do not mention is that the phone support can deny you for any reason to get the full functionality of your product back. Also, it is a completely moronic system to have to call support to have this done in the first place to get your product working again even though it is physically fine and all put together. This is anti-consumer and anti-right-to-repair. I would love nothing more than all laptop makers, and frankly all hardware manufacturers, to have policies and availability of parts like Framework does so their practice is not some novelty you have to pay extra for...

Replace the entire top plate of the laptop because my A key stopped working, got it. Also, that's a multi-hundred dollar repair to do that.
No it’s not. Your Key also has to break for that so maybe you could just design a better keyboard
We are talking about the ability to repair the laptop not buy the latest and greatest main board for a laptop that is out of warranty. You cannot have gotten a Framework laptop with the 1000 dollar mainboards that is out of warranty to eat the cost of the mainboard replacement. If you need to buy a new mainboard you would logically be out of your warranty, thus a 1000 dollar mainboard would be for an upgrade and a repair...
If you break a port on the framework it’s a main board replacement.
This is partially true. You can order parts, but odds are you either void the warranty installing them or you break something in the process out of warranty because these product are built to be as hard as possible, within some reason, to self service repair. What you do not mention is that the phone support can deny you for any reason to get the full functionality of your product back. Also, it is a completely moronic system to have to call support to have this done in the first place to get your product working again even though it is physically fine and all put together. This is anti-consumer and anti-right-to-repair. I would love nothing more than all laptop makers, and frankly all hardware manufacturers, to have policies and availability of parts like Framework does so their practice is not some novelty you have to pay extra for...
Nope that’s literally just a list of lies. It’s not really moronic when you could bypass security by just installing a new part. Things like the LAS hardware disconnects the mic in MacBooks which is a pretty large security fix. Same with the TouchID sensor. You lose functionality like truetone because of calibration and not knowing the power demands of third party displays. On top of that it disincentivises stealing macs and harvesting parts off them.

Latest posts