News Framework Reveals More About Its Customizable Laptop's Parts

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
If this ever got traction as a mainstream thing, I think this could be pretty interesting. I've had several people approach me before saying they "want to build a laptop", which I always have to tell them "you don't build laptops".

Reactions: ezst036

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
If this ever got traction as a mainstream thing, I think this could be pretty interesting. I've had several people approach me before saying they "want to build a laptop", which I always have to tell them "you don't build laptops".

I have wanted for many years a truely build your own laptop. But there is no standard motherboard form factor, among many other things needed.

The closest has often been "barebones", which isnt nearly the same. Let's hope that all changes. It did always surprise me that two manufacturers, say an Asus and a Lian Li, (pick any two you want, really, one makes boars and the other is cases) didnt ever come together to make it a reality.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
Great idea, but just another company who won't be around, or won't have the capital to make good on their modularity. Really wish barebones laptops made a comeback.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I've also longed for this to be "the norm" for every good reason there is. Is it going to happen at some point? Yes, I'm sure it will. Is that time now? We'll have to wait and see, but for mainstream companies, I'm gonna put my money on "no." :(

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Just to add the same that everyone said, with my humble example:

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro that still works today. The screen is great even today, the keyboard, trackpad and audio are very good, the case is well preserved, everything is good in it (except the battery, but that is changeable). But it is eternally a dual-core Sandy-Bridge processor, with 8GB RAM limited by hardware, and a GT-330m that goes dark from time to time. If I want a better base hardware, I have to throw everything away and get a new one. What will happen to the great screen? Will they melt the aluminium case? How much an equivalent notebook will cost?

I really applaud the initiative, a buildable notebook is awesome. But even a standard motherboard within a manufacturer would solve so many problems. Get a great notebook today, replace the motherboard for a new one 5-10 years later, and keep the rest. Oh, that would be amazing. A nice step in the right direction.

TRENDING THREADS