France's Call For EU-Wide Fingerprint Database Prompts Rethink Of 'Fingerprints As Passwords'

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Once your biometrics leak, they become nearly worthless for data or access protection and you cannot change them.

If recording biometrics gets institutionalized by governments, I would consider them inherently flawed for anything beyond complementary ID.

Biometrics are already being collected in the US (just think of the scan and pic taken when entering the country at any airport). Most people here tend to ignore that, out of convenience and the false security given by the "I don't do anything bad, so why should I care" sentiment. I would NEVER rely upon biometrics for anything even remotely secure. For my smartphone, a PIN/password/pattern lock are enough, and that can be changed at a whim. Good luck changing your fingerprints (or iris scan, for more advanced tech) once it's leaked.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
If some threat has physical access to your devices (including your biometric scanners) then you have already lost the battle for security. Besides, almost any computer that's actually useful already has a ton of much easier attack vectors. I'm all for better computers security, but this issue isn't anywhere near the top of the threat list.

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
This has been happening at a bunch of different places in the world already, correct? I mean the US stores those when they scan em, right? I'm assuming the same for Japan.

So yeah, sooner or later that data will be available. These things just get hacked/leaked/whatever.

Username, I can see that.
Password, no.

Tom's Biometricsware has just discovered our forums were compromised by a hacker. We're sorry to report this may have led to unauthorized access to your username, password, biometrics and the time of your last meal.

Please re-set your password and get a fresh set of fingerprints at your local forensic surgeon.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hmm... I suppose I'd be willing to give Europe my middle finger for authentication, but if they expect to get a retina scan just so I can spend money touristing around their countries they're going to get my middle finger instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.