FREE: Mass Effect 2 DLC Free On Launch Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]Wait...they are releasing DLC when the game launches? Why didn't they just incorporate it into the game then! Geez game developers are getting lazy and greedy.[/citation]Exactly! Gamers should be outraged by this!!! It almost makes me want to pirate the damn thing, burn it to a DVD, and send it to them with a giant FU letter attached (no return address of course)!

G

For everyone that gets angry about DLC not being in the normal game- The game has to be finished tested and sent off to be produced months before it is released. Anything they do after that is DLC (sometimes even by different teams)- So what they are doing is saying if you buy the game on launch you get everything they've added in the last few months for free.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]hadtacomment[/nom]For everyone that gets angry about DLC not being in the normal game- The game has to be finished tested and sent off to be produced months before it is released. Anything they do after that is DLC (sometimes even by different teams)- So what they are doing is saying if you buy the game on launch you get everything they've added in the last few months for free.[/citation]

Exactly

Anyone that has been following this game knows that the developers have stated several times they had content that they wanted to include in the initial retail release but was unable to because of certain deadlines. Therefore if you buy the game new you get access to certain DLC for free.

It's from Bioware, I'd probably pay for it even if it wasnt free..

G

And didn't you notice .. this only applies to those who BUY THE GAME ON RELEASE DAY. Anyone who buys later, will have to pay for the DLC.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]theholylancer[/nom]with team fortress two, or half life, or most pc games, it's called a PATCHwith these new console first games, its called a paid DLC, gooooo piracy.[/citation]

Well since it's being released on PC and Console the same day were does that put your argument...

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bananarama443[/nom]And didn't you notice .. this only applies to those who BUY THE GAME ON RELEASE DAY. Anyone who buys later, will have to pay for the DLC.[/citation]

Misunderstanding....it's for those who buy the game new, not just on release day.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Whats going to happen next is they are going to make you purchase the game in 3 or 4 parts. It will be like this in the future...part 1. Video Content $39.99 part 2. Sound Content $39.99 part 3. Standard Character $39.99 part 4. Online Play $39.99 and so on. Our games are going to be like building a nice pc or car, JK. But it is going to get more ridiculous before its going to get better. JMO

squidrott

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation]Misunderstanding....it's for those who buy the game new, not just on release day.[/citation]Here's to hoping it's as you say. :)

I just hope they keep the DLC to a minimum on ME2. Even if DLC is the new "in" thing for the gaming industry...it's annoying. Next thing you know they'll be charging for the game ending (this was actually discussed several months ago...I forget where). ...that'll suck for those games with multiple endings. :p

I've started to hold off on pre-ordering and/or buying newer games that have DLC (like Borderlands). I'm just going to wait and hope for bundles to come out...like what was done with Fallout 3 via the "Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition".

G

Relating back to the article on all PC games going digital in 2011, I don't buy DLC unless it's later released on disc or incorporated into a GOTY/Gold edition, a la Oblivion or Crysis. It's already ridiculous that they want you to pay an extra $13 for a couple of trivial extras for Dragon Age, and it was also disappointing that their idea of a collector's edition is a tin case and some downloadable items that costs $20 more. I went ahead and installed the free DLC that came with the retail game, and I'll probably do the same with ME2, but it's still annoying that I had to create an EA/BioWare account just to do that - and the DLC is forever tied to the email address that I used with no transfer ability should I ever decide to sell/donate the game. If BioWare goes under, my DLC is no more.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
It's better than releasing the game next next year, like starcraft and diablo keep pushing back deadlines. And it's free, so I understand people hating DLC, but in this case, they give you free dlc, you don't pay 13 dollar for it.

EA is just smelling the money, just like SOE, Blizzard and all the other companies I don't even know about, because they don't make the games I play. I hope the DLC will be free again, but stupid consoles are just destroying the free patches we used to enjoy for our pc-games.

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Its all good, but this "not finishing the game" in favor of charging for it normally is a sickness. This is decent, but other places(think sims 3) will have things you can purchase within a month of release. Ive noticed game prices going up while the amount of gameplay in those games going down in favor of high ass production values.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
to be honest, after Mass Effect 1 managed to be both incredibly short, and incerdibly tedious, I dont think I'll bother with 2.... is ther anyone who doesn't love free stuff? Yeah, getting a cold happens for free, wouldn't want to suffer through one of those either.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]theholylancer[/nom]with team fortress two, or half life, or most pc games, it's called a PATCHwith these new console first games, its called a paid DLC, gooooo piracy.[/citation]No, they release patches for console games now too. Bugfixes, that sort of thing. Additional game content that you download is DLC aka Downloadable content. They make the distinction because patches are always free but optional DLC may cost money. If they did what you wanted, and called them patches, then people like you would flip out even more. Some of it is free, some costs money.[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]Wait...they are releasing DLC when the game launches? Why didn't they just incorporate it into the game then! Geez game developers are getting lazy and greedy.[/citation]It's hilarious to watch people whine about free stuff. Just think, if they never released this free DLC, you wouldn't have anything to complain about! Would you like a refund on your free download, sir? Or perhaps you would somehow like to twist the mere idea of DLC into some weak justification to pirate the game?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]That's already happened. It's called Starcraft 2.[/citation]Yeah no joke, and that's a PC game ONLY, by the biggest dog in the PC market. So where does that put theholylancer's argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.