[SOLVED] Freesync and G-Sync Compatible

Jul 8, 2020
Hi folks,

This is my first post, so be soft on me thank!

I am planning to get a RTX 2060 Super, and naturally upgrading the Display is quite necessary to make things perfect.

However, the price and a G-Sync monitor actually is quite a nightmare to my budget, frankly, can't afford to get one.

I know there are monitors which are both Freesync and G-Sync qualified as the same time. My current display card is an AMD RX 590 actually.

Nagging question in my mind is : Is G-Sync compatible monitor means it relies heavily on NVidia drivers to work? What happens if the driver cracks and poorly written such that the quality of the performance degrades?

Also, another question is that given that the monitor is both Freesync and G-Sync capable, would it be less capable than a purely G-Sync compatible monitor with an NVidia chipset built inside it?

Solution
Point noted. My RX 590 is HDMI 1.4, I guess it won't work with the FreeSync Monitor.

What is a DisplayPort cable? Does the montior package come with a DisplayPort cable or the RTX Graphics cards comes with one.
Your RX 590 should be HDMI 2.0

But if not then it'll still work with FreeSync because it's AMD.

I just know that with Nvidia you need 2.0 or DP.
But then again they may have done something with drivers to make it work on 1.4 with FreeSync displays that use 1.4

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you get a Gsync Display you need an Nvidia card.
If you get a FreeSync display you can use either Nvidia or AMD.

However, make sure that the FreeSync display is HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort FreeSync, otherwise Nvidia won't work.

With Nvidia just enable FreeSync in the monitor OSD and then enable Gsync in Nvidia control panel.

Reactions: CIVPLAYER
Jul 8, 2020
If you get a Gsync Display you need an Nvidia card.
If you get a FreeSync display you can use either Nvidia or AMD.

However, make sure that the FreeSync display is HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort FreeSync, otherwise Nvidia won't work.

With Nvidia just enable FreeSync in the monitor OSD and then enable Gsync in Nvidia control panel.
Like your reply, very concise and up to the point.

So let me get this right, a FreeSync display can support BOTH Nvidia and AMD cards? My previous understand is then completely wrong, thought FreeSync is for AMD ONLY G-Sync is for Nvidia ONLY.

How does it work? I mean FreeSync? How does it support 2 completely different hardware architecture?

Also, as you said that the FreeSync monitor supports Nvidia card by way of Nvidia driver, if the driver is poorly written for instance, would that affect the stability of the display, like ghost images and stuttering?

If I spend a bit more on a G-Sync compatible monitor, will it resolves the above worries?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
FreeSync is an open source standard for adaptive sync whereas Gsync is proprietary from Nvidia.

Because it's an open standard Nvidia supports it by way of drivers.

Drivers are fine and it works with like 99% of displays but mileage may vary depending on the display.
Nearly 100% compatibility with FreeSync2 displays and like 90% compatibility with original FreeSync.

If you spent the extra money on a certified Gsync display then it's guaranteed to work perfectly.

In all honesty, as long as you aren't buying a no name bargain bin brand FreeSync display then it should work just fine as long as you pay attention to the FreeSync specs for HDMI and DP and what the display supports at what resolutions and refresh rates on either.

Reactions: CIVPLAYER
Jul 8, 2020
To clarify, this is assuming you get an RTX card which has HDMI 2.0
If you get a previous gen card it will have HDMI 1.4, and at that point you'll need to ensure that the FreeSync display has DisplayPort and does FreeSync over DP.
Point noted. My RX 590 is HDMI 1.4, I guess it won't work with the FreeSync Monitor.

What is a DisplayPort cable? Does the montior package come with a DisplayPort cable or the RTX Graphics cards comes with one.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

Your RX 590 should be HDMI 2.0

But if not then it'll still work with FreeSync because it's AMD.

I just know that with Nvidia you need 2.0 or DP.
But then again they may have done something with drivers to make it work on 1.4 with FreeSync displays that use 1.4

Solution
Jul 8, 2020
Gsync compatible is basically a FreeSync display that has been tested and verified to work with Nvidia Gsync from back before Nvidia started supporting nearly all FreeSync displays
Oh, I see!

So, Nvidia as of this moment, supports nearly all FreeSync displays? How do I find out those minority which are not supported?

For your card I would not recommend above 144Hz 1440p (and that's pushing it).

1080p monitors should be the sweet spot for you. You can find many that are free sync/adaptive sync, 144Hz ~$250 price point.

Make sure the monitor is labeled as such! Not all 144Hz monitors support adaptive sync standard.