Question Freesync monitor plus RX 580 8GB or GTX 1650 super?

Milo_Stallone

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
Hi!

I have a free sync monitor. Am confused which GPU will run games the best. I have 12GB RAM & 550 Watts PSU. Does this freesync really matter with AMD GPUs ? Will I get extra performance in AMD's extra 4GB VRAM.

RX 580 8GB or
GTX 1650 Super 4GB

VRAM size or Clock speed ? Which is important for good gaming fps & smooth performance.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi!

I have a free sync monitor. Am confused which GPU will run games the best. I have 12GB RAM & 550 Watts PSU. Does this freesync really matter with AMD GPUs ? Will I get extra performance in AMD's extra 4GB VRAM.

RX 580 8GB or
GTX 1650 Super 4GB

VRAM size or Clock speed ? Which is important for good gaming fps & smooth performance.

Thanks in advance.

So to break this down - firstly freesync, that is AMD's brand name for variable refresh rate, which means your screen syncs up drawing images with the output of the GPU. This helps make motion look smoother (especially at lower frame rates) and helps prevent visual issues you can get when the screen and GPU run at different rates (things like screen tearing - where you get a horizontal line across the image when moving for example).

When it first came out, you could only run freesync from an AMD card as nVidia had developed their own, hardware incompatible solution (whereas AMD used the open VESA standard for theirs). However nVidia updated their software and you can now use freesync with their cards as well.

In terms of which card is better, I suggest reading some reviews, for example here is the review by Toms:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/nvidia-gtx_1650-super-turing

Note that they include the RX 590 for comparison (the 590 is a slightly higher clocked 580, they perform very similarly in practice). In terms of which card is better, honestly they perform pretty similar.

The extra Vram isn't going to make a difference at 1080p, if you game at higher resolutions (e.g. 1440p) then having 8gb of Vram is better, although neither card are really fast enough for 1440p in most games.

There is an argument that the 8gb vram will mean the RX 580 will age a bit better, that said it's built on AMD's old GCN architecture (which was replaced last year with RDNA in the RX 5000 series cards) so it may not get much support going forward with driver upgrades. The GTX 1650 Super on the other hand is a current design so might be better supported. Personally I think I'd go with a GTX 1650 Super, if you wanted to look at an AMD card I'd actually suggest looking at the newer RX 5500 cards as they are based on the current tech.

Reactions: Milo_Stallone