Question Freeware for downloading web pages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I tried to find such program on my own, but what I found was either not working / outdated or not entirely free.

So can anyone refer to me something really free and working, that would scan a site for internal links and after exploring them download whatever there is?

USAFRet

Titan
I tried to find such program on my own, but what I found was either not working / outdated or not entirely free.

So can anyone refer to me something really free and working, that would scan a site for internal links and after exploring them download whatever there is?
While not an answer to your request, I can visualize many ways that download can go wrong.

Go to a motherboard manufacturer site, and it downloads the 9 different versions of the user manual, all in different languages.
A webpage for a Linux distro, and it downloads all 18 different versions, both current and past versions.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
[...]
download can go wrong.

Go to a motherboard manufacturer site, and it downloads the 9 different versions of the user manual
[...]

How that would be bad? Not having to manually download 9 times the same document but in a different version? Or not having to search for the version you need but just later on deleting the ones you don't nee? Or even not bothering to do so on the account of diminishing return [saved time vs. wasted disk space]? Do you yourself indulge in deletion of all those languages files in all those programs that do not allow for choosing what element of them can be not installed

As for huge files- if user expects a file to be measured in GBs, then such user should not be so lazy as to not find that one big file that is needed. If a user does not expect this- then it the problem of a noob

I myself do not have time an energy to explore every broken link on e.g. a site that has some re-written / modded old game that even has a layout like from the 1990s, exercising total chaos

If you're talking about downloading the entirety of the site of what's publicly accessible, you do run the risk of downloading a crap ton of data. Especially if this is a site that hosts a bunch of files. Try this on Archive.org and unless you get something that'll make Linus Tech Tips cream their pants in terms of storage, you're not going to even scratch the surface of what they have.

If you're talking about downloading the entirety of the site of what's publicly accessible, you do run the risk of downloading a crap ton of data. Especially if this is a site that hosts a bunch of files. Try this on Archive.org and unless you get something that'll make Linus Tech Tips cream their pants in terms of storage, you're not going to even scratch the surface of what they have.
Keep in mind that a majority of sites have measures in place to prevent exactly this kind of bulk downloading.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a long time ago i had a need to download a large handful of files posted to a page. think it was a bunch of free ebooks. i did some looking and ended up using this browser add-on to do it.

it scans the page you are on and shows a list of things you can download, then you check some boxes of what you want and it goes to work. may or may not be what you are thinking as it will not go any further than the links on the page you are on currently. it will not follow any links to other pages and see what they have. as in it is not going to crawl an entire site or anything like that.

might be helpful to you, might not be. thought i'd share anyway in case it does something good for you :)

Reactions: The Electro Machine

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
This is better than nothing

But it seems that it is incapable of exploring on its own beyond index.html [i.e. all of the HTML files] for fishing links to e.g. JPG files - thus I still must manually visit [or open in a new tab] every link leading to an HTML file in order to get on the list of available for download items hypothetical media or archive files nested within them

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS