Question freeware to tag and classify texts

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
i write a lot of smalltext summary abstract about subjects like food health psychology buisiness etc .

I have so many now i cannot find my way around.

i search a freeware wich ideally can clasify and tag both mp3 and text .

at least text

iwich i could have ramification sub raminifaction , search by year etc

any suggestions? tx

You want an app to do the work of whole AI system...

On Linux systems, there's "file" command which tries to classify file types (application, script, photo etc). But to get an application which can tell whether a particular text is "Science report on reproductive life of ants in Northern Africa" - you're twenty years ahead of time.

OTOH - if you want to do the heavy lifting and do the work by yourself, a simple "data base" using spread-sheet app like Excel will do.

Ralston18

Titan
Basically you just want to search your summary abstracts for key words - correct? Actually a more applicable term may be "string".

By "tag the texts myself" do you mean that you will make a table with one column for the file name and another column or columns with key words relevant to the document's topic or contents?

What file types are you working with: .mp3 noted, - .txt, .pdf, .doc, etc.?

Windows has built in indexing capabilities that may do the work for you without any special efforts on your part beyond just enabling indexing and allowing lots of time for Windows to build create the necessary index.

Then in the File Explorer search box you type "content: followed by the search words"

Python and Powershell both can also do word searches.

Python for example:

https://www.codegrepper.com/code-ex...or+a+string+word+in+a+text+file+string+python

Powershell, again for example:

https://joshuarobbins.tech/searching-multiple-word-documents-for-keyword

Both links are just simply examples to provide some insight as to what might be done with respect to your requirements.

Neither may be directly applicable but knowing more about your requirements may narrow the search to a more focused solution.

Very likely there is already a suitable bit of code or script to do exactly what you need.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Basically you just want to search your summary abstracts for key words - correct? Actually a more applicable term may be "string". for exemple i d like the pc to open all the file that contain the word aluminium (or pineapple) The truth is i never taged anything, have always worked on paper cardboard sheets and some pc txt. but now i have such a collection that i see how time saving if i could start using a system on pc that would pop up the topic i sudently want to reread without having to use my hand to go throught papers.

By "tag the texts myself" do you mean that you will make a table with one column for the file name and another column or columns with key words relevant to the document's topic or contents?
I dont know what you mean buy colomn table. i would like to be able to have a program that scan all words in text and open the txt tha contain the word aluminium.
-- probably those are 2 different type of operation hence need for 2 freeware.
ANd i would like to be able to put tags linked to each text so one same text could be tagged with # cooking ware # aluminium# prevention# cancer # home.

What file types are you working with: .mp3 noted, - .txt, .pdf, .doc, etc.?
mp3 for sur , for the text i can adapt . mp4 video too

Windows has built in indexing capabilities that may do the work for you without any special efforts on your part beyond just enabling indexing and allowing lots of time for Windows to build create the necessary index.
i might switch to linux so if possible id like something versatile. maybe even on android phone

Then in the File Explorer search box you type "content: followed by the search words" - would this find the word in texts or only in tiltles on text (cause the freeware everything seems to only look into the title wich is anoying.

Python and Powershell both can also do word searches.

Python for example:

https://www.codegrepper.com/code-ex...or+a+string+word+in+a+text+file+string+python

Powershell, again for example:

https://joshuarobbins.tech/searching-multiple-word-documents-for-keyword

Both links are just simply examples to provide some insight as to what might be done with respect to your requirements.

Neither may be directly applicable but knowing more about your requirements may narrow the search to a more focused solution.

Very likely there is already a suitable bit of code or script to do exactly what you need.
OMG it is code lol a part of me is scared hahaha . well if i just have to copy paste
serche in disk c folder abstract and type the words im looking for im might be able to handle it but i canot talk computer language.

i answered inside the quote

Ralston18

Titan
Try the following:

Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder where your abstracts are stored.

In the search box type "content:aluminum cooking" (without quotes). You do not necessarily need to use those words - just use words that you know are in your abstracts.

You may need a bit of trial and effort to get the format correct.

But it does depend on the indexing.

As for code: it is all code one way or another. Key is to identify the code that meets your search criteria and working requirements.

Then set that code /app/utility/ script up to launch at computer boot and be ready to go whenever you need to do a search.

Some of code is just designed to be more user friendly. For example:

https://www.nirsoft.net/articles/search-text-multiple-pdf.html

Google the words "free string search software" for more options. - limit the search to the last year or so, Vary the words and phrasing as necessary to filter down and narrow the results.,

Read descriptions and use carefully. Ensure that all of your data (abstracts, etc..) are backed up and proven recoverable and readable,

Then download and try 2 or 3 of the tools. Only one at a time and be carefully about the download links. Many sites try to trick you into downloading other things as well, Read the screens carefully before clicking. And do have your anti-virus/malware software running.

Bear in mind that you are not the first person by any means that has needed to search files for text. There are some very expensive programs for legal use that do such things in very complicated requirements. Fortunately you do not need anything at all like that.

No intention of making you into a programmer - but you did mention Linux.

Here is a link that you may find interesting:

https://adamtheautomator.com/powershell-grep/

You have, overall, lots of options.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Try the following:

Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder where your abstracts are stored.

THIS METHOD IS GOOD INDEED TX FOR TEACHING ME.
In the search box type "content:aluminum cooking" (without quotes). You do not necessarily need to use those words - just use words that you know are in your abstracts.

You may need a bit of trial and effort to get the format correct.

But it does depend on the indexing.

As for code: it is all code one way or another. Key is to identify the code that meets your search criteria and working requirements.

Then set that code /app/utility/ script up to launch at computer boot and be ready to go whenever you need to do a search.

Some of code is just designed to be more user friendly. For example:

https://www.nirsoft.net/articles/search-text-multiple-pdf.html

Google the words "free string search software" for more options. - limit the search to the last year or so, Vary the words and phrasing as necessary to filter down and narrow the results.,

Read descriptions and use carefully. Ensure that all of your data (abstracts, etc..) are backed up and proven recoverable and readable,

Then download and try 2 or 3 of the tools. Only one at a time and be carefully about the download links. Many sites try to trick you into downloading other things as well, Read the screens carefully before clicking. And do have your anti-virus/malware software running YES AVAST MALWAREBYTE.

Bear in mind that you are not the first person by any means that has needed to search files for text. There are some very expensive programs for legal use that do such things in very complicated requirements. Fortunately you do not need anything at all like that.

No intention of making you into a programmer - but you did mention Linux.

Here is a link that you may find interesting:

https://adamtheautomator.com/powershell-grep/

You have, overall, lots of options.
TX

Ralston18

Titan
Why do tags exist..?

Just another way to "do things": in this case to search text. Older technology in some ways.

Documents are stored in different file types and formats, which have been developed and evolved over the years.

Some searches are very simple - one keyword perhaps.

Looking for the word "aluminum" just by itself is one thing. In the current context that would be, to me, tag. The tag is attached to a file(s) and the search tool looks through each files' attached "tag list". If "aluminum" is found in the tag list then the search engine lists the file.

Searching for "aluminum fry pans" but not "aluminum pots" unless "copper bottom" becomes more complex. Plus the search engines can actually parse the files themselves and identify files where the keys (or key word combinations) occur. Or exclude files - maybe if the word "titanium" is in the file (or abstract). "Not Titanium" even if the other words are all present.

Yet parsing large documents can take lots of time. Especially legal, medical, and technical documents. Lexis-Nexis is a good example with respect to legal documents.

Always trade-offs to be made. In your case you must rely on the words you used in the abstracts.

At some point the abstracts may no longer be necessary - with the necessary code and computing power you can directly search the documents.

That is all being done now. And you can even verbally frame and ask "search questions" via search engines such as Alexa.

USAFRet

Titan
And for mp3, it lets an application sort/filter/categorize tracks as desired.
Rather than relying on the filename.

Artist, album, track order, genre, etc, etc.
A common set of identifiers, that is (generally) readable across multiple applications.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
And for mp3, it lets an application sort/filter/categorize tracks as desired.
Rather than relying on the filename.

Artist, album, track order, genre, etc, etc.
A common set of identifiers, that is (generally) readable across multiple applications.

ok that is a very crucial point. while i can do a search for specific word in the texts, i cannot in the mp3.
-TO EVERY ABSTACT HERE IS A MP3 LINKED TO IT it will be my voice narating the higlight of the abstract.

-So i need to be able to easily find the abstract corresponding to a mp3 i ll listen in 2 years and what to dig more in details of the original text. invertly , i need to be able to find the mp3 corresponding to every abstract i will be in front of.

-There will be 2 different mp3 for each abstract.

i m forced to use tags to identify the mp3 category right?

how can i link the mp3 to the abstract easily?

ok that is a very crucial point. while i can do a search for specific word in the texts, i cannot in the mp3.
-TO EVERY ABSTACT HERE IS A MP3 LINKED TO IT it will be my voice narating the higlight of the abstract.

-So i need to be able to easily find the abstract corresponding to a mp3 i ll listen in 2 years and what to dig more in details of the original text. invertly , i need to be able to find the mp3 corresponding to every abstract i will be in front of.

-There will be 2 different mp3 for each abstract.

i m forced to use tags to identify the mp3 category right?

how can i link the mp3 to the abstract easily?

Put the mp3 file and the abstract in the same directory separate from the rest. Or name them the same name. Those would be the easiest way. Text files are not designed to use meta data like mp3 files. In the mp3 files you can put in something that would match the text file they go to, but if you just name both files the same name that would be much easier to find. I like having the file names be specific instead of just the directory so instead of having 30 "info.txt" files in the computer you have "YellowBirdInfo.txt", without being dependent on what directory they are in. Then make the audio file that goes with it YellowBirdInfo.mp3. Instantly they are matched.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
could you explain me Text files are not designed to use meta data like mp3 files ?

is there a reason why you dont put space or - or . in between words in title? does this not prevent you from searching words like bird ? since the word is infoyellowbird..

USAFRet

Titan
hi
could you explain me Text files are not designed to use meta data like mp3 files ?

is there a reason why you dont put space or - or . in between words in title? does this not prevent you from searching words like bird ? since the word is infoyellowbird..
The mp3 file format was designed from the start to have metadata. ID3 tags. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

Text files were not.

As far as space or a . in the title?
Don't do that.
Some systems won't recognize a space. and a LOT of systems treat anything after a . as the file extension.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
ok so far same complete name in complete named folders.

Is there a way to give different value to my mp3 or txt?
example some info are normal thing i already know so i would give them 1 star.

some info are really crucial or important so in i would give theme 3 star to be sure i listen to them more often than the one stars.

if i particular mp3 need to be very oftenly listened to i could rate it 4 or 5 stars.

is there a way to organise or tag stuff so that i say ok i only want to listen to 3 stars and up today .?

and could i go as far as saying ok i have little time lets listen to all 4 stars made in 2020 (skipping the other years)

that would be great

USAFRet

Titan
The ID3v2 specification has a rating tag in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID3v2_rating_tag_issue

Most music playing software from recent years can display that.

I use songbird.

tu66js5.png

USAFRet

Titan
would using it online give people acces to my mp3?

why do you use it ? to tag and rate your songs?
i dont have a nas

i ll never use itunes by the way. is ID3v2 f only for itunes?
I use it just to play music. That's all.

I select an album or several out of my collection, or individual tracks...and hit play.
Background music through the day. Or crank it up, and make my neighbors front door vibrate.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I use it just to play music. That's all.

I select an album or several out of my collection, or individual tracks...and hit play.
Background music through the day. Or crank it up, and make my neighbors front door vibrate.
Hi if you have answers can you answer my questions if you dont have the answer m just say it it is still ok