Freeway FW-5VGF+/ultra motherboard

Hi all,

I'm feeling a bit retro at the moment and I've been having a look
around to find out what the best super7 mobo is, and it turns out it's
this one. Does anyone know of anywhere where it can still be found,
second hand etc.? Maybe there is someone willing to sell me theirs as
they've got two?! Also, does anyone know what happened to freeway?
Their website no longer seems to work.

Cheers,

Will

On 21 Apr 2004 13:28:06 -0700, madbillydavis@hotmail.com (Will Davis)
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm feeling a bit retro at the moment and I've been having a look
>around to find out what the best super7 mobo is, and it turns out it's
>this one. Does anyone know of anywhere where it can still be found,
>second hand etc.? Maybe there is someone willing to sell me theirs as
>they've got two?! Also, does anyone know what happened to freeway?
>Their website no longer seems to work.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Will

"Freeway"?
Sounds like a generic relabel. I'd always heard that an Asus P5A was the
best. You want an Asus P5A?

kony <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:<4ltd80po50j6lmaut1qb4ur1da4oohi5s4@4ax.com>...
> On 21 Apr 2004 13:28:06 -0700, madbillydavis@hotmail.com (Will Davis)
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm feeling a bit retro at the moment and I've been having a look
> >around to find out what the best super7 mobo is, and it turns out it's
> >this one. Does anyone know of anywhere where it can still be found,
> >second hand etc.? Maybe there is someone willing to sell me theirs as
> >they've got two?! Also, does anyone know what happened to freeway?
> >Their website no longer seems to work.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Will
>
> "Freeway"?
> Sounds like a generic relabel. I'd always heard that an Asus P5A was the
> best. You want an Asus P5A?

No I think Freeway went bust a few years ago, but this was the best
ever super7 mobo made - check out the review at
http://9-muses.com/freak/reviews/freeway-fw-5vgf+ultra/ - but it was
only really available in the far east, and not europe or usa. I just
hoped on the slim chance that someone might actually have
one...otherwise i've got a soyo 5ema+ which is top nothc so i can't
really complain!

On 22 Apr 2004 05:00:54 -0700, madbillydavis@hotmail.com (Will Davis)
wrote:

>No I think Freeway went bust a few years ago, but this was the best
>ever super7 mobo made - check out the review at
>http://9-muses.com/freak/reviews/freeway-fw-5vgf+ultra/ - but it was
>only really available in the far east, and not europe or usa. I just
>hoped on the slim chance that someone might actually have
>one...otherwise i've got a soyo 5ema+ which is top nothc so i can't
>really complain!

Never seen one of those in the US though I never looked for one either.
That is a really nice Super7 board... at least feature-wise, I'd have to
refrain from stability/compatiblity/etc assumptions until trying one
though, as it seemed more of a gamble setting Super7 boards working
properly with hardware of the era, seems everything was primarily tested
against the BX chipset.

kony <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:<eckf805av0mjc6dpel3d5nghkkt85hihe9@4ax.com>...

> Never seen one of those in the US though I never looked for one either.
> That is a really nice Super7 board... at least feature-wise, I'd have to
> refrain from stability/compatiblity/etc assumptions until trying one
> though, as it seemed more of a gamble setting Super7 boards working
> properly with hardware of the era, seems everything was primarily tested
> against the BX chipset.

Well Super7 boards did always seem to be less stable, and I suppose
they'd be even more unstable with the high power requirements of
todays hardware, but it was something I was used to back then - they
made rest switches from stronger stuff in those days! I always wished
I'd managed to make the best ever Super7 computer, using a K6-III+ and
whatever the best mobo was - probably one of these Freeway ones - but
cost always got in the way, which is one of the reasons I never went
Pentium (and still haven't). It still gets in the way now but it's one
of those silly dreams like owning a Shelby Mustang or an E-Type Jag!

I do think the only place that any Freeway Designs' stuff can be found
is in Japan, and since they went bust a while ago there's no chance of
contacting them. Also, the companies that used to have links with them
such are bust of have changed hands by now, such as A-Trend and TMC.
Oh well, on to my next project of the ultimate Athlon MP rig...!