Freeze/Lag when only gaming

MrAlanSmith

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
I opened up my PC to clean it out because it was dusty, High temps so i cleaned it out now the temps have dropped massively but my HDD died because PC went really slow so i took out so i wiped my PC and reinstalled Windows 10 and i turned off game mode but it did not fix the problem.

My Full build and everything i have with my PC, My PC is fine when searching and facebook but when i game it freezes my PC or the game badly lags for a few seconds, Its random, Can it be a bad psu?... Thanks guys.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GTspvV

I ran memtest86 for 6 hours, Passed, 0 errors( I did think it was the RAM but it was not.

I ran FurMark, Max temp was 73% (1 hour)

I'm in the middle of more tests.

I wanted to add, People are having the same problem with the "windows creators update", People are having the crash in games same as me.

Its all over SWTOR forums about it.

run memtest86+ overnight and let it run for 3 Full passes. Sometimes it takes more than one pass for the memory to error this is why it is bast to run it for 3 complete passes. This will take multiple hours to complete so let it run overnight. Unless this is a programming issue ( the game itself) it sounds like a memory issue. Be sure to check and see if all the ram is read and usable. Basically make sure you have the 16 GB usable and not just 8 GB.

Since you were in the case make sure all the components are installed into their slots properly along with the power connectors plugged in and latched properly. Sometimes we bump things and they need to be re-seated in order for them to work properly again.

MrAlanSmith

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014

I'v just re-seated RAM and the power connectors, Its not a overheat problem, I'v tested that and it's fine, Doesn't the PC go slow when the RAM is dying?

and i'll run memtest86+ overnight tonight but i'm always in need of my PC for alot of things but right now its fast but in games it freezes or says "there was a problem with this program" League of legends was fine but lagged really hard for about 2 seconds but was fine.

When ram starts to go it can give intermittent issues but usually resulting in BSoD. Either way the test is the same, Memtest for 3 passes.

Try running the CHKDSK /r command in an administrators command prompt. This will check the disk for errors.
Also try running SFC/scannow command from the same prompt. This will check the OS's crucial files for corruption and replace if necessary. IF it says it can not let me know and I'll give you the command for it to get the files from the Microsoft server to replace the corrupted ones.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

^ links to explain what the commands do and how to use them.

MrAlanSmith

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014

Memtest86+ 0 errors.

I found out what it was "Windows creators update" When i reinstalled Windows 10 it somehow downloaded the "Windows creators update"

A lot of users ares are having the same problem as me when they downloaded the "Windows creators update" I cant roll back, I'v tried, I could get a iso and go back but i'll have to start all over again", I'm gonna just wait untill its fixed.

MrAlanSmith

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
Seems like the RAM was the problem in the end, I bought another 8GB RAM stick and it seems it fixed the problem but what got me, I ran memtest86 and memtest86+ for 3 complete passes and it didnt find any errors but when i took it out my PC the freezing stopped :/ Strange.