Freezes at BIOS splash screen or after an hour of after being on?

GIGgle_Hertz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
HI everybody!

I have an interesting problem (at least interesting to me) that my friend proposed to me today. He called me a little bit ago for some troubleshooting help with his desktop.

The problem is: His desktop will freeze at the bios splash screen/motherboard model splash screen. BUT he can turn it off and on a couple times (like 3- 6) and it will continue past the splash screen and boot all the way to the desktop and work fine. He also says that sometimes after about an hour of working fine it will freeze and he will have to go through the same process to get it to boot too the desktop. ALSO hes says it doesn't always freeze after he gets to the desktop. If he can get past an hour of it working fine, it continues to works fine(like 3 days on one test) until he turns it off and has to turn it on again. I believe according to him the initial freeze at splash screen happens more often than the hour on freeze. (not sure if this helps but i thought it was important.)

He has been dealing with this issue for about a month. His build was completely fine before that month (he has probably had the computer for more than a year now). I asked him of anything new installed before that month and he can not recall anything software or hardware wise. All his drivers are up to date. A couple days ago he reformatted his harddrive and reinstalled everything fresh to try and fix the problem but to no avail. He continues to have this not serious problem but annoying one.

At the time of the call he said his board had a CMOS reset button on it and that he was gonna try that. I also suggested looking into flashing the bios to the most recent version. Upon looking around for somewhat similar issues but nothing exactly like his problem, i was thinking that maybe it could be his CMOS battery going bad. Also found some suggestions of the power supply not providing proper power but i would think that it just wouldn't be working at all with that issue.

So i haven't had a chance to really look at his Desktop yet but i thought i would start this thread already to get some suggestions coming my way.

His specs are as follows:
ASrock 870 extreme 3
AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 3.2Ghz
samsung HD 103sj 1 TB
G.Skill sniper 1333 4gigs x 2
XFX ATI Radeon 4800 series 1Gig VRAM

Solution
Sorry for the horrible delay in this follow up. I know i can't stand it when you find threads with your issue and they suddenly stop, but sometimes its a good sign the last thing posted was the solution! This was pretty much the case.

ANSWER!!:

After reseating everything to no avail, I suggest to my friend to try his memory one at a time in different slots. For example:

RAM A in slot 1, see if it boots successful. RAM B in slot 1, see if boot is successful. RAM A - slot 2, boot. RAM B - slot 2, boot, etc. This process is so, if you have a memory problem, can narrow down which stick of ram is bad or which slot is bad.

Turns out a memory problem was causing his weird freezes. He moved both of his memory sticks into the other two...

PcTestCardCom

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I would suggest we reseat the parts like CPU, RAM, HDD data cable, P{SU connectors.
Also check if there is any damaged mobo capacitor.
Reset the Bios default.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

GIGgle_Hertz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the help. He said he made sure everything was well connected, but we'll take it all apart and put it back. Ill get back to you after we try your suggestions. I also am telling him to try his memory one at a time and in different slots.

He also tried the cmos reset and up to date bios but to no avail.

GIGgle_Hertz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Sorry for the horrible delay in this follow up. I know i can't stand it when you find threads with your issue and they suddenly stop, but sometimes its a good sign the last thing posted was the solution! This was pretty much the case.

ANSWER!!:

After reseating everything to no avail, I suggest to my friend to try his memory one at a time in different slots. For example:

RAM A in slot 1, see if it boots successful. RAM B in slot 1, see if boot is successful. RAM A - slot 2, boot. RAM B - slot 2, boot, etc. This process is so, if you have a memory problem, can narrow down which stick of ram is bad or which slot is bad.

Turns out a memory problem was causing his weird freezes. He moved both of his memory sticks into the other two available slots and its been booting fine ever since. One of the two original slots he was using is bad or is becoming bad. (This is why you do one at a time because then you can determine which slot is bad, but hey, he only has two sticks so it works.)

I hope this solves your problem raizonica.

Drat! No way to make my answer the best response XD

Solution

cclevel

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I was having the same issues.
My build had always "worked", but would pause on the BIOS boot screen for 40 seconds or so before the OS load began. Then, two days ago, it wouldn't advance past the boot screen at all.

Your solution worked for me.
Thanks for coming back to post!

PcTestCardCom

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

I have a computer with AMD CPU previously with the same problem.
I used the standby mode to "shut down" since that can help to save time on waiting for the Bios POST wait time.

After a month or so, the computer shutdown iteself and the mobo is getting faulty so I replaced the mobo and works.

Cheers,
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.