Freezes fixed by using remote desktop

Jun 25, 2018
Hi.
Strange problem. Never encountered this before. Windows 10 (current on all updates). Was working perfectly for a long time until this morning. I did not make any changes Then I got frequent random freezes - chrome, word and other open programs would not respond to any clicks - for a few minutes, then would work for a few minutes but slow. Then freezes again. Unusable.
I ran a virus scan, and dell diagnostics and no problems detected. I checked the drivers for the video display and it said it was current. I tried accessing the computer via remote desktop from another computer and it works perfectly again. I used it all day via remote desktop from my laptop and it was perfect - not one freeze.

Any ideas? I was thinking a hardware issue with the mouse or keyboard so I swapped them out and it did not help. I use 2 monitors so I disconnected one and ran with the other - same problem of freezing, then switched to the other monitor and still had same problem. What else changes with remote desktop?

Solution
I fixed it!
A little detective work identified the culprit as the usb hub. I have a lot of usb devices so I need to use a powered hub. I removed all of the devices and the hub and plugged the keyboard and mouse directly into the computer and it worked perfectly. I replaced the hub with a new one and plugged all of the devices back in and it still worked perfectly. Problem solved!
I never in my entire life had a hub go bad but I guess anything is possible.
Jun 25, 2018
I fixed it!
A little detective work identified the culprit as the usb hub. I have a lot of usb devices so I need to use a powered hub. I removed all of the devices and the hub and plugged the keyboard and mouse directly into the computer and it worked perfectly. I replaced the hub with a new one and plugged all of the devices back in and it still worked perfectly. Problem solved!
I never in my entire life had a hub go bad but I guess anything is possible.

Solution