freezing and rebooting problem, help!

Dosson

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
My pc was running really fine, untill suddenly it started freezing, I restarted my pc and the this happens: after the windows logo, my monitor suddenly turns off and then comes back up once the welcome screen show up, and after a few minutes, it suddenly reboots itself without any warning and then the computer freezes right on the options screen during startup (as in bios and other options) and this keeps repeating constantly, I can use windows safe mode, but the normal mode either freezes completely or the monitor acts up and then the pc reboots itself. What does this mean? What do I do?

The most likely explanation here would be a failing PSU but it could also be your graphics card(s). Not limited to those possibilities but those are the most likely offhand. Could simply be a loose connection inside even
How old is the computer, what are your specs?

Dosson

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
About three months now, I doubt that it's something with connection since the rig ran smoothely and never even touched the damn thing apart from the power button

Windows 7 64bit
AMD FX6300
nvidia gtx 650ti
Asus M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard
CODEGEN 600W ATX 2.03(P4) MODEL: 600X PSU

(ADATA
AD3U1333B2G8-B
DDR3 1333(9) 8GX16 U DIMM
10242272) single 8 GB RAM

Perhaps best to start with your PSU... what make and model, I'm assuming it is also ~3mo old.

Connections can work loose from vibrations within the machine, doesn't necessarily need outside help. Most commonly this is caused by making cables too tight (stressing the connector) during cable management (but not limited to that)

Dosson

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
so wait, what must I do? if it's a PSU problem, then can I even fix it? is it something to do with the power cable? but wouldn't the same problem be affecting safe mode as well if that were the case? because this problem only manifests itself in normal mode

maybe these dump files can help, because there have been a few occasions of BSOD and there were to BCCodes
BCCode 101
BCCode 124
dump link:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=166642&d=1396005058

Here's what I'm thinking... somewhere power is getting funky, you can run in safe mode since it puts little stress on the PSU and other components but when more power is needed (for running graphics higher than VGA), the system isn't keeping up. This could be caused by your motherboard's VRM (Voltage Regulation Module), the PSU or even the GPU (if dedicated). The PSU is the most likely suspect but depending upon components selected, it may be any of those (at least I'm currently focusing that way).
Two things you can try outside of hardware failure that may work... 1) Reset your CMOS clock and 2) Try running a driver sweeper program - driver conflicts may (I'm kinda reaching here) cause that behavior as could a bad BIOS setting (which should be reverted during reset)

Dosson

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
ok, so can you give me a rundown of how to do all those things? never actually tried those methods before.Also, did the dump files provide any useful info?

I've been attempting to research your PSU and so far the results are not looking promising - even if you get back up and running good, you'll want to start looking to budget a higher quality PSU. If what I'm finding is correct, almost any PSU will be higher quality, but look at brands such as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Superflower, or... a very good place to research PSU's is here http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm (as a general rule of thumb, if I can't find a PSU reviewed there, I won't consider it at all)

Try Windows automated hardware troubleshooter. Click on the start button, and type "fix hardware" into the search bar. The top hit should be "Find and fix problems with devices." I don't have a whole lot of faith in it but until I can find something better, it might give you something to work with

huyenham

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
May be due to your graphics card, you may also have been infected by computer virus can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware used so long, please provide more information about your computer and old life is not used? :)

Dosson

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014

Windows 7 64bit
AMD FX6300
nvidia gtx 650ti
Asus M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard
CODEGEN 600W ATX 2.03(P4) MODEL: 600X PSU

(ADATA
AD3U1333B2G8-B
DDR3 1333(9) 8GX16 U DIMM
10242272) single 8 GB RAM

It's a brand new computer and I bought it about 2-3 months ago. I would check in with warranty,but I can't find my purchase documents. If there is an infection then how can I identify it? is there any antivirus software to help resolve this, but I prefere to use something that wont chop at my pockets for money

I had an epiphany here while researching another issue... and I think I know how to go about checking it but it does get involved and you may be somewhat intimidated by the steps I'd suggest for trouble shooting.
I'll suggest first attempting to find those receipts and exchanging the PSU (which may very likely be the root cause of your issues)

RabbitsTachi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Slimdrivers can update your drivers for you.

Dosson

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Ok, I think I found something. Apparently, whenever I connect my 4g internet into a usb slot, the PC either freezes or reboots, but if I don't connect the internet to usb, then it runs absolutely great. I suspect this could be a mobo problem, but I'm guessing this could also be a virus that affects mobo functions. What do you guys think?

Dosson

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Ok, I think I found something. Apparently, whenever I connect my 4g internet into a usb slot, the PC either freezes or reboots, but if I don't connect the internet to usb, then it runs absolutely great. I suspect this could be a mobo problem, but I'm guessing this could also be a virus that affects mobo functions. What do you guys think?