Question Freezing because of bad ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2020
Hello I got on this forum because I have so many questions...

I bought a used PC. The guy who built the PC plugged the fans from my watercooler and the RAM Sticks in the wrong place, my system worket nevertheless.

So at some point i got annoyed at the fans, because they had either been on 100% or 0% and thus very loud. I corrected that issue and my system booted and I could create the desired fan speed in Ai Suite III. I then restarted my PC but it didn't boot. The warning LED for DRAM on my motherboard was orange.
Ram config at that point:
Slot A1: Corsair 8GB/3000mhz
Slot A2: Corsair 8GB/3000mhz
Slot B1: Corsair 4GB/3000mhz
Slot B1: Corsair 4GB/3000mhz

So I put the in the right slots (same ram in Slot A2 and B2 and so on)

Still no boots but when I removed the 4gb ones it did boot again. I was able to put one of the two 4gb back in my system and it booted again. On the nxt day It didn't boot-I didnt change anything tho. So I removed the 4gb stick and It didnt boot. I then removed all RAM, started and shutdown my PC, reinserted the 8gb sticks and It bootet. Then I reinserted the 4gb sticks and It bootet.

I thought that's weird but I'm happy. But NOW I get weird freezes. My system runs normally but my disply freezes and my mouse and keyboard aswell. Putting the usb cable out and in again results in no lights flashing up in my keyborad. My system is absolutely frozen.

Motherboard: Asus Strix 270F Gaming
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080TI
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K (watercooled, at max power on 56°C)
Ram Stick Model 8gb: Corsair CMK8GX4M2B3000C15
Ram Stick model 16gb: Corsair CMR16GX4M2C3000C15

After I saved all my work (pictures) on an external hard drive I will do some RAM tests but for now I have some questions.

a) does that have ANYTHING to do with my fans or did I just touch the ram? (my computer was not plugged in and i dindn't hit my RAM or whatsoever). Also I have that computer for a good year now and i didn't had any problems. Only Resolve 16 crashing because I didnt gave it enough RAM.
b) is there a logical explanation why it didn't boot and now it does? And why it changed overnight?

I hope someone can help me. Greetings Lukas

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020
Hello jay_dog, thanks for that super fast reply!!
As I said I'm backing up my data right now but after that I will test my RAM with the included tool from windows and after that with memtest86.
Since my PC freezed while backing up, it all gets slowed down quite a bit.

greetings lukas

Hello jay_dog, thanks for that super fast reply!!
As I said I'm backing up my data right now but after that I will test my RAM with the included tool from windows and after that with memtest86.
Since my PC freezed while backing up, it all gets slowed down quite a bit.

greetings lukas
No problem!

What are your temps looking like?

You could try doing a chkdsk commands to check your drives for the freezing. Another option for the freezing is to reinstall windows as you last option and see if that fixes your issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk

Apr 15, 2020
Temps from the CPU in idle are 25-29°C and at max power at 59°C.

I will try the chkdsk commands but i highly doubt that the drives are the problem because the problem accured after the weird "RAM no boot combination" event...

I also doubt that windows is the problem, as it was stable bevore the "RAM no boot combination" event...

Let's see what the RAM Tests will say!

Reactions: Mooons
Apr 15, 2020
Ok, I'm Back with some confusing and weird results!

But first: RAM Names

8GB Ram sticks are: 8a and 8b
4GB Ram sticks are: 4a and 4b
A1,A2,B1,B2 are the ram slots.

Here is showhow the standart memtest86 (the one that starts autmatically when i boot from my usb) worked out and where i had my ram sticks.

Test 1: A1"4" A2"8" B1"4" B2"8" -->freezed
Test 2: A1" " A2"8" B1" " B2"8" -->no errors

At this point i startet to label them with post its.

Test 3: A1" " A2"4a" B1" " B2" " -->no errors
Test 4: A1" " A2"4b" B1" " B2"" -->no errors
Test 5: A1" " A2"4b" B1" " B2"4a" -->no errors
Test 6: A1" " A2"4a" B1" " B2"4b" -->no errors
Test 7: A1"4a" A2"8a" B1"4b" B2"8b" -->284 Errors
Test 8: A1"4a" A2"8a" B1"4b" B2"8b" -->freezed

So it seems that each of the RAM Sticks are ok, but my mainboard can't handly each 4 of them at the same time?
Is my mainboard the Problemand how can I check my mainboard?
What RAM-Test should i run with memtest86?
I took a picture from the shown errors but how can i upload that?

I really hope i can get some help...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020
Ok I have an Update.

Today I managed to have all four ram Sticks installed AND finish a Memtest86, all without failures.
I had them in like that:

Test 9: A1"4a" A2"8a" B1"4b" B2"8b"

But in my bios i deactivated the XMP1 Profile, and they run on 2133MHz now.

It's really weird tho, the Bios says it's at 2133MHz but memtest68 says its at 2998MHz?

What does that mean?
Is my motherboard controller faulty?
Or is it my RAM?
What tests should I run and what should I do?

greetings Lukas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.