[SOLVED] Freezing - continually (Windows 10/64-bit)

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Hello folks,

For the past ~ 6 months, I have experienced odd pausing/freezing. Like the system slows down, then the mouse/keyboard plays catch up.
The mini-freeze with last for ~ 1 to upwards of 4 seconds. Especially noticeable in Excel (random freeze, can't move to another cell, or type etc.)

System build:
10/10/2019

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2020-‎11-‎23
OS build 19042.662
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.1070.0

Windows 10/64-bit
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi
Adata Xpg Sx8200 Pro Nvme SSD 1tb (o/s)
Crucial SSD 512 gb (games)
Ryzen 5 3600x
Gigabyte 5700 XT oc
16 gb ram
Evga 650w G5 80+ Gold

I have not overclocked and cannot think of anything in particular that I've done that would cause this odd behavior.

Attempted:
Windows repair (while keeping existing data/apps etc.)
Changed power plan to 'High Performance' - Advanced power settings - AHCI Link Power Mngt - Lowest, or Active - doesn't matter. Neither works.
Updated GPU driver
Updated Mb chipset driver
Updated Mb Bios
Looked at Adata SSD 'toolbox' - Did the trim command and looked at the health of the drive seems fine.

Note 1: I cannot find an updated Adata Nvme Ssd driver and when I did attempt to install an Intel supposedly compatible one, I jammed the system and had to restore Windows to an earlier build.
Note 2: If important, I do hear the CPU fan winding up and down every 10-20 seconds, I can't quite tell if the pause/freeze happens just before or after this fan wind up, or if that's completely unrelated.

Any thoughts?
I'm inclined to think it's either a drive or Windows build related, but just guessing on my part.

Last edited:
Solution
Reporting in!

Ok - I may have discovered the culprit of the frequent pausing (lag/micro-freezing etc.).

BitDefender: I have disabled their firewall and turned on the built in Windows 10 firewall.
It appears that the anti-virus software, firewall - was constantly causing network hiccups.

I found a BitDefender forum post from a few years back and decided to give it a try. Seems ok after a few hours use.

I'm hoping this information will be of use to someone, now, or in the future.
Although I have a subscription to BitDefender, I likely will find an alternative when it expires.
Your symptoms smack of cpu throttling due to heat.
Run HWmonitor.
It will give you the current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
If you see anything near 95c as a max, it is likely that you have throttled.
The cpu will slow down to protect itself from damage until temperatures go back to reasonable.

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Yes, the one that came with the cpu.

I just ran Mount&Blade Bannerlord game for 1/2 hour. (2560x1440, High settings).
According to HW Monitor - Amd Ryzen 5 3600x Max. cpu temp reached 84C (Package Node 0), if I'm reading that correctly.
Which is about 10C higher than with Chrome browser open and nothing else running

Does that seem normal, or unusually high? Apparently max tdp is 95c.

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
  1. I have changed my cordless mouse to see if that makes a difference. (From VictSing something model - to Microsoft Explorer mouse - model:1362).
  2. I've also changed the port that the corded (USB) Keyboard (Logitech K120) is plugged into. Just in case a Usb port is a tad wonky. Ideally I should be trying a different keyboard, but don't have one.
Note: temperature is not the problem. I've kept HWMonitor open and there has been no noticeable spikes after the brief pausing moment.

--------
Since I last posted this past Monday - I've noticed less freezing/pausing, but still shows itself. Guessing here: maybe once every 1/2hr. to 1 hr. Improvement no doubt.
Whether that's due to some Windows update/gpu driver/bios/mb chipset/or Windows power setting change/ I really can't tell.

Again, if it does happen - it would be quite apparent in Excel, when at some point, when you try to type numbers in a cell - nothing appears. The numbers don't play catch up either, they just don't appear.
Will monitor for another few days. Perhaps I can get my hands on another keyboard and try that as well.

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Yes, I've manually scanned with MalwareBytes on more than one occasion, no problems.
Also, I have a subscription to BitDefender, that is always active.

No CPU spikes at all via TaskManager/Resource Monitor.

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Reporting in!

Ok - I may have discovered the culprit of the frequent pausing (lag/micro-freezing etc.).

BitDefender: I have disabled their firewall and turned on the built in Windows 10 firewall.
It appears that the anti-virus software, firewall - was constantly causing network hiccups.

I found a BitDefender forum post from a few years back and decided to give it a try. Seems ok after a few hours use.

I'm hoping this information will be of use to someone, now, or in the future.
Although I have a subscription to BitDefender, I likely will find an alternative when it expires.

Solution