Freezing, Crashing, Lagging, all around pos comp

Tippsworthe

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Purchased a white box comp from a pawn shop (yeah i know im stupid but)

AMD Athalon II X4 651 Quad-Core 3.0 GHz
8GB
1TB WD Blue Drive
GeForce GTX 660 Graphics Card

I thought hey... for 400 not bad right? So i start having issues right away... Damnit... I call up my tech buddy, bad sectors, find out a couple weeks later it was in a kernel file. Crap. Cloned over to the new WD blue, no probs for like a week. Then, the crashes begin AGAIN. *flip desk* okay fine, np, bad sectors tagged along, now im pissed, DBANed the drive, reinstalled fresh. *cross fingers* CHKDSK.................. 0 bad sectors *fckyeah.jpeg* start installing 7 days to die. playing for like an hour, no problem, install Heroes of the Storm, start playing when it hits the yellow minimum playability, freezes. *face desk* can't alt f4, can't tab out, can't do a damn thing except hold power. and try again. now im playing terraria, having the same issue. I'm about to toss this out the window... anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: After every attempt at fixing (1st Disk Repair, 2nd clone, 3rd Nuke/Re-Install) It's worked for a long-ish period of time, the first "fix" I was able to play Planetside 2 on Ultra @90 frames for weeks before it started to act up again. thought that might help.
EDIT2: I also ran Memtestx86 to see if it was a ram issue, it all came good.

Welcome to the community, Tippsworthe!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD Blue drive! :( However, I think that the biggest issue was the fact, that you cloned a corrupted/failing WD Blue to your new WD HDD. Cloning basically makes an exact, identical copy of that hard drive, copying even the useless sectors.
Good job with erasing and clean installing of the OS, however, since the problems persist I'd suggest you to run WD's Data LifeGuard diagnostics on the new WD Blue as well and check up on the SMART data status and health. Here's a link to the software, just make sure you run both the quick and extended tests: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=duLkuv

Let me know what the results say and it would help a lot if you post a screenshot of the SMART attributes as well.
Hope it helps! Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

If you suffer from multiple problems like that.
Then take a good look at the power supply unit fitted inside the system tower.

Your Psu is the heart of your system.

A cheap branded power supply will be the cause of system instability.
I`m not going to count the amount of times it`s the cause, decent cpu, memory and graphics card plus motherboard, hard drive.
But a cheap and nasty underrated Psu causing all the havoc. The first component in the line to check when a system suffers multiple problems. Every other component in the system depends on it working right.

If the Psu is not of a well known brand maker and cheap, it`s the woes of all the problems you have listed.

Tippsworthe

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

The SMART data came up green all across the board, healthy. I ran the WD LifeGuard diag while I slept. Woke up and the computer had shut down. Doesn't seem to have actually done anything.

EDIT: I was able to run a full game of Heroes of the Storm today, minor lag, but that's what I get for not waiting until it's in optimal. My team won (of course ;D) Victory! screen pops up..... and sits there..... and sits there.... nothing happens. I can still talk on TS, no issues there, but I can't open anything up, can't right click anything, alt f4 or open task manager...

EDIT2: I swapped sata cables on my hard disk to my DVD drive, and visa versa, still crashing but now I have been able to right click the icon on the task bar and close the program... baby steps.

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with the WD Blue, Tippsworthe! :(
I'd recommend you to back up your data from the HDD and check its warranty here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PP1pV2
I think it would be best to contact our customer support and let them know about your problems with the WD Blue. If it's still under warranty, you can send an RMA request and get a replacement from us.

Here's an article that explains the whole RMA process: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=BU2sr4
& The WD Support Contacts: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=s3ojML

Good luck! Hope this is helpful!
SuperSoph_WD