Question Freezing PC

Bastaklis

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016
Idk how much of, if any of this is relevant so I'll just tell the story. tl;dr at bottom.

PC started randomly freezing under virtually no load while watching youtube. I decided to use it as an excuse to finally reinstall OS and format drives in hopes of solving some other small annoying issues as well.
After reinstall I used the mobo's disc for drivers and my mouse/kb would stop working after windows started to load. Took me a few hrs to figure it out and did another OS install and I skipped some drivers on the disc for now and started running windows updates.
After leaving it to install updates for a while... the freezing started occuring again.
And that's where we are now.
When it first happened I started monitoring temps and the cpu/gpu were fine.
EDIT:
Tried using just SSD and getting through updates. Froze.
Tried using just HDD and getting through updates. Froze.
So I tried checking RAM - I already knew I had one bad slot. One stick works in two center slots, though it shuts off for a moment and then runs. Outside slots seem to both be bad? Results in 15 on MOBO and loops. Other stick doesn't want to work in any slots now, but loops faster in the two slots that the first stick works in.
So, confirmed two bad slots, one bad module, I guess?

Edit2:
Working RAM in working slot resulted in freeze during updates.
Not sure what else to try.

Edit3:
Took advice from r/techsupport and did another fresh OS install, but using drivers from manufacturer websites instead of discs. Ran a 10 hr 8 pass memtest over night with 0 errors. Going to try win updates now.

tl;dr PC freezing. Fresh OS install didn't work. No bad temps on cpu or gpu.
Specs:
i7-4770k (no oc)
Gtx 770
16gb corsair vengeance DDR3
128gb SSD
750gb HDD
Corsair CX600M PSU
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H MOBO
OS Win 7

Last edited:

Bastaklis

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016
I suppose I didn't pose an actual question, so...
What tests can and should I run?
Specifically in regards to remaining hardware, such as drives, mobo, psu, ram? As I don't think it's the cpu, gpu or software.
I guess it's also worth mentioning that this happened randomly and the build is a bit older,