Question GTX 980 ti not recognized in bios

Apr 25, 2024
I just put together a system with an ASUS ROG Strix z790-H, i7 14700k, and Corsair RM1000x and am awaiting my RTX 4080 super. I decided to put the pc together using my old 980 ti, which works great in my old system, until i get my 4080. The only issue is that the ASUS MB does not recognize the 980ti at all. It will not post with the hdmi hooked into the GPU. Only when connected to the IGPU on the motherboard. When it boots with the IGPU it does not list the 980 ti in the bios and windows device manager does not see it either. Yet the card lights are lit up and the power connectors each have their own independent power cord going to the PSU. I see no reason why it shouldn’t work.

I have tried changing settings in the bios to no avail. CSM cannot be enabled using the IGPU. I’ve moved the card back to my old system just to double check it wasn’t somehow damaged and it works perfectly. So the card is fine. I have reset the bios to see if that helped and it did not. I can’t test the other x16 port as it’s too low on the board to fit the card in the case. I do have a Samsung 990 pro in slot the second m.2 slot but cannot find anything in the manual stating it would cause conflicts with the pcie port. Is this card compatible with this newer board?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024
As
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Go into BIOS and see if chancing the PCIe version to a lower gen helps bring the discrete GPU to life.
I tried switching it to gen 3 but it still did not recognize it. I’m starting to worry the port may be busted. I will have to check once my 4080 gets here.