chorbajc

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
hello im new here and i was wondering if a hard drive can cause parmenant freezing i just formatted my pc three times so i know its not the registry or the drivers

any help would be appreciated thanks

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Welcome to the fourms. A hard drive could be responsible but we won't be able to determine anything until you answer some questions:

Do you know your system specs?

Can you describe the problem a little better? Freezing means different things to different people.

Can you get the computer to turn on?

Can you get into the operating system?

Does the freezing happen right away or can you use your computer for a little bit?

If you can use it for a little bit does any particular action cause it to freeze?

When it freezes do you get a blue screen of death?

Does it keep restarting itself?

When did the freezing start and was there any event (power outage, new software installed, new hardware added, big ball of flame shooting out the side of your computer, etc..) that happened right before?

After you re-formatted did you re-install all the appropriate drivers?

chorbajc

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
when i said freezaing mean it works for bout 5-10 minutes then completely stops responding to anything i do. i got the drivers from the site.it just randomly freezes no matter what im on. nothing particular
went wrong it started doing it out of the blue about 3 weeks ago.
iv switched the sata cables ive done a memory dignoses used doss. the os is windows 7 starter any help would be appreciated

gateway
pentium r 3.3 ghz
socket 775 lga
msi mother board-ms7248p
g force 9500gt ddr2 video card
2 gig kingsley its running at 677 mhz
80 gig western digital sata t im on

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hmm... since you were able to re-install the operating system after you reformatted (a hard drive intensive activity) and it didn't lock-up I doubt it's the hard drive.

It's also probably not an overheating issue since I assume it took longer than 10-15 minutes to install the OS and it didn't freeze up then (if you wanted to double check that you could check the temps using HWMonitor Link).

Does the hard drive activity light light up during the freeze or is it just nothing?

Also, does it still freeze up after 5-10 minutes if it's booted into safe mode?

By memory diagnoses did you mean you checked the RAM or the Hard drive?

chorbajc

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

the temps are normal they were about 70 f. i tried safe mood it did not work also i checked the ram. when ever it frooze it made a very light buzzing sound

TRENDING THREADS