[SOLVED] Frequent BSOD with new motherboard and CPU, mostly after quitting games.

Oct 1, 2019
So, a week or so ago my old build died rather suddenly, heard a quiet pop, process of elimination looked like a CPU and /or motherboard failure. Not super old equipment but enough to make me decide to upgrade over replacement cost wise.

So, here's my current stuff:

CPU: AMD ryzen 3600
MOBO: MSI Gaming A Pro X570
GPU : EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
RAM: Adata DDR4 AX4U2400w8G16-BRZ 8GB (x2 dual channel)
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
SSD (primary drive): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB
SSD: Intel 120gb
HDD: Seagate 3 TB
Windows 10 Home May 2019 update

So, first off, I actually tested this setup with two different motherboards, the other being a ASUS - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI). Both boards experienced similar issues so figure it's likely not a MOBO problem.

Upon assemply I reinstalled Windows from an old disk, and this caused me a lot of headaches, as I would BSOD quite frequently, every 10-15 minutes, and couldn't even update Windows normally, my PC would either BSOD during it or hang (without the BSOD) and force a manual reboot. Updated as many drivers as I could but many required a more up to date Windows. I had to download the latest update ISO and install via thumb drive to get up to date. This solved a decent amount of my errors, enough to update every driver I could think of (Nvidia, everything on MSI's support website, AMD chipset drivers, everything on MSI Live update platform). General browsing PC usage seems somewhat stable.

The big thing is that I can play games, many that are very demanding and for a decent amount of time, with little issue. But when I close them to resume general PC use, I will get a BSOD within 2-3 minutes, guarenteed. The most common one is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Second most common is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Before I got fully updated I would get IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

When I do get the BSOD, it typically will happen that once after finishing the game, then very quickly on the next couple logins. One time caused enough of an issue that windows would not load properly, the screen would flash and nothing (like the taskbar) would load properly. A system restore solve that. When the crash is about to happen I've noticed some bizarre behavior, Chrome would have "Couldn't load this" sort of errors, and one time, all apps and windows I would open / were already open started going blank.

Some troubleshooting steps I've taken.

1. Memtest (comes back clean both dual and single sticks in the 4 passes in the free version).
  2. Reseating sticks, using them in different slots, only use 1 stick.
  3. Clean reinstalls of Windows, both updated and unupdated, on both the Samsung and Intel, and using only them with the other plus the HDD disconnected
  4. Clean install of GPU driver.
  5. As mentioned above, 2nd motherboard
  6. SFC scannow
  7. Monitoring temps to verify it's not something overheating.
  8. Updating Bios, resetting Bios
And probably more I'm not remembering. My RAM is a bit old and slow for the CPU/ MOBO (as far as DDR4 goes) so might be trying out some new RAM when I can afford it even with it reporting no errors, and my CPU is within return timeframe if it seems like that might be the culprit.

I'm not any good at reading dump files or event viewer, or even sure I uploaded the correct ones the right way, but here's a link: https://mega.nz/#F!r8wG3aLT!H4WUfVl_-jT5Hp2QIdv7cg

Please let me know if there's anything I should add.

Last edited:
Solution
Might be solved with new RAM. Bought Corsair 3k Vengeance. Actually allowed me to turn on the XMP which was a good start and just launched Borderlands 3 and Surge 2 in the same session for about 15 mins each just to test and no BSODs so far.

Will leave this marked as unsolved for another 24 hours in case they come back, and then mark it if they don't.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will ask a friend to convert the dump files.

2 different motherboards sort of removes a lot of drivers from list of possibilities.

Clean install of GPU driver.
did you use same drivers both times? The newest Nvidia drivers have been causing BSOD.

The most common one is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Second most common is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Before I got fully updated I would get IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.
those can all be drivers.

what is on the 120gb ssd?

Is ram on motherboard Compatibility list as Ryzen picky about ram

Oct 1, 2019
Might be solved with new RAM. Bought Corsair 3k Vengeance. Actually allowed me to turn on the XMP which was a good start and just launched Borderlands 3 and Surge 2 in the same session for about 15 mins each just to test and no BSODs so far.

Will leave this marked as unsolved for another 24 hours in case they come back, and then mark it if they don't.

Solution