Question Frequent BSODs - " SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (7e) " ?

Jul 28, 2024
Have been having frequent BSOD and have had to reinstall Windows a couple of times, this problem started early this year (around May).

The BSODs feel random as the PC could just be idling and it would blue screen. Sometimes it would blue screen on boot and sometimes it would run fine for a while until eventually, it decides to BSOD. Am running Windows 10 with latest BIOS.

Sometimes after a BSOD the computer will restart in recovery mode and will be unable to fix itself, it will also be unable to be run in safe mode.

Specifications:
Motherboard: MSI B650M GAMING PLUS WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core Processor
Memory: 32 GB @
- 16 GB DDR5-4800, Corsair CMH32GX5M2E6000C36
- 16 GB DDR5-4800, Corsair CMH32GX5M2E6000C36
Graphics: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics
Graphics: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 7600
Main Windows Drive: SSD, TEAM TM8FPK500G, 465.76 GB
Games Drive: SSD, Samsung SSD 990 EVO 1TB, 931.51 GB

What I have done to troubleshoot:
Ran: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc/scannow
Updated BIOS
Cleared CMOS
Ran memtest
Check thermals
Reinstalled Windows
Attempted to read and understand BSOD crash reports (to no avail)

The codes I have seen that I can remember
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (7e)
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Will provide new DMP files on request from newer BSODs.

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Don't upload the kernel dump unless we ask for it - it's large.

Can you please download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp collects all the troubleshooting data we're likely to need. It DOES NOT collect any personally identifying data. It's used by several highly respected Windows help forums (including this one). I'm a senior BSOD analyst on the Sysnative forum where this tool came from, so I know it to be safe.

You can of course look at what's in the zip file before you upload it, most of the files are txt files. Please don't change or delete anything though. If you want a description of what each file contains you'll find that here.