Frequent BSODs when using laptop's dedicated GPU.

Sep 14, 2018
I have a 3 year old gaming laptop which was working fine before a month. From a couple of days i am getting DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION or VIDEO_SCHEDULER _INTERNAL_ERROR while trying to use any application that uses dedicated GPU.If i disable the Nvidia GPU the laptop works fine but when i enable it the system crashes. I tried everything on the internet for solving it. I re-installed my GPU drivers using DDU to uninstall it , reinstalled windows 10 and used stock ASUS drivers from the website. Before the BSODs used to game for hours, red green artifacts had started to display on screen which always disappeared after restart. So I thought it may be a heating issue, i opened up my laptop and cleaning it and replace the thermal paste on GPU and CPU. After that the error occured on the first boot but on the second boot the drivers got installed and i was able to use the GPU and play games. But the after a few days windows updated itself and the issues reappeared.I tried again by reinstalling an old version of Windows 10 and old drivers but didn't work.Occasionally the GPU would work for some time then the BSODs would start again. When I had opened my laptop I saw that the stock thermal paste had got inside the yellow/orange cover over the GPU green area. Can it stop the GPU form working? Should I try removing it and cleaning the paste or is there any other solution.

Laptop Model: ASUS GL552JX
GPU: Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 950M
CPU: i7 4750HQ
HDD: 1 TB SATA

Solution
note: looks like your motherboard vendor did NOT do a update for your audio file:
https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL552JX/HelpDesk_Download/

you might have to hunt for a updated version

go to your motherboard vendors website and update the motherboard sound driver. there was a known bug in old motherboard sound drivers that would crash nvidia graphic card driver (sound support for hdmi)
and cause the nvidia graphic driver to stop responding.

you should also update the nvidia gpu driver (most people will have already do this update)

note: looks like your motherboard vendor did NOT do a update for your audio file:
https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL552JX/HelpDesk_Download/

you might have to hunt for a updated version

go to your motherboard vendors website and update the motherboard sound driver. there was a known bug in old motherboard sound drivers that would crash nvidia graphic card driver (sound support for hdmi)
and cause the nvidia graphic driver to stop responding.

you should also update the nvidia gpu driver (most people will have already do this update)

Solution