[SOLVED] Frequent BSODs

psycho1337

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello there!

I've started recently getting a lot of BSODs that I can't seem to pin down. The "culprits" are: ntoskrnl.exe and ntdll.sys. No amount of googling could solve the issue for me.

What I've done so far:

▪ I've managed to get multiple crash dumps and addressed most of the problems. I've also tried driver verifier and found a driver that kept misbehaving (isctd64.sys), and disabled the feature from the BIOS.
▪ I've run stress tests on my hardware and everything was stable and perfectly functional.
▪ I've run multiple chkdsk, sfc scans, etc and didn't find corrupted files.
▪ I've tried updating my drivers, but they're already up to date.

Here are the recent dumps and also my setup: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1T_h63JwukqKfTYtxjAsEdgXVbP34Oo_D?usp=sharing

My setup:
MSI h81m-p33
I7 4770
16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance pro pair)
GTX 1070
120GB Kingston SSD
4TB WD Red Nas
No name 600W PSU

EDIT: The main bsod messages that I've got are: Critical process died (this being the one that I see most often), Kernel inpage data error, unexpected store exception.

Solution
you have vgk.sys installed, it is a game anticheat software. riot vanguard
you might want to remove it. it is the only really suspect driver I saw in the memory dump. Most likely it will be the root cause of the memory data corruption that caused the bugcheck.
https://support-valorant.riotgames....8213-Uninstalling-and-Disabling-Riot-Vanguard

the file is pretty new Fri Nov 13 19:05:34 2020. maybe the messed something up?

fffff80537790000 fffff80537ce0000 vgk (deferred)
Image path: \??\C:\Program Files\Riot Vanguard\vgk.sys
Image name: vgk.sys
Browse all global symbols functions data
Timestamp: Fri Nov 13 19:05:34 2020 (5FAF497E)...

Lutfij

Titan
I'd ask you to check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. See if you have any updates pending by cross-referencing the support page for your motherboard, here, and gradually update the BIOS if you have a number of them pending.

You will need to get back to us with the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Most probably the culprit could be the PSU itself. Which version of Windows 10 are you running at the moment?

psycho1337

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
I'd ask you to check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. See if you have any updates pending by cross-referencing the support page for your motherboard, here, and gradually update the BIOS if you have a number of them pending.

You will need to get back to us with the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Most probably the culprit could be the PSU itself. Which version of Windows 10 are you running at the moment?
I'm currently on the lastest BIOS version.
I've attached 2 pictures with the PSU and Windows information. The PSU has roughly 2 years of use on it.

https://ibb.co/ggBxtM6

you might want to remove it. it is the only really suspect driver I saw in the memory dump. Most likely it will be the root cause of the memory data corruption that caused the bugcheck.
https://support-valorant.riotgames....8213-Uninstalling-and-Disabling-Riot-Vanguard

Timestamp: Fri Nov 13 19:05:34 2020 (5FAF497E)
CheckSum: 0055AB92
ImageSize: 00550000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Information from resource tables:

i will take a quick look at the other dmp files and see if they show something useful.

Timestamp: Fri Nov 13 19:05:34 2020 (5FAF497E)
CheckSum: 0055AB92
ImageSize: 00550000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Information from resource tables:

i will take a quick look at the other dmp files and see if they show something useful.

most likely it is this driver corrupting windows data for device drivers.
if you can keep your system up long enough you want to run control panel, services then find the program that is talking to the riot vanguard device driver. disable the service and reboot. At that point the system should not crash and you should be able to remove the software or update/down grade the software driver.
you can type
services
in the windows search box to quickly get to the list of services. then try to scroll down to the riot vanguard entry if you can find it.
then right mouse click, click properties and disable the service, wait 10 seconds or so then tell the service to stop running. It might bugcheck when you do that but it should still be disabled when you reboot.

Solution

psycho1337

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
most likely it is this driver corrupting windows data for device drivers.
if you can keep your system up long enough you want to run control panel, services then find the program that is talking to the riot vanguard device driver. disable the service and reboot. At that point the system should not crash and you should be able to remove the software or update/down grade the software driver.
you can type
services
in the windows search box to quickly get to the list of services. then try to scroll down to the riot vanguard entry if you can find it.
then right mouse click, click properties and disable the service, wait 10 seconds or so then tell the service to stop running. It might bugcheck when you do that but it should still be disabled when you reboot.
Thank you, John! I've actually forgot about Vanguard! Yeah, this anticheat has basically level 0 authority over the system. If it finds a driver that's considered a possible way of cheating (as in it's coded poorly) it instantly terminates it. I've had issues with this in the past and an Intel CPU driver. Also, the updates to it are done in secret, so it's bound for this happen randomly. I'll try disabling it!