Frequent Disconnections

Hi,

I have a Linksys WRT54G Router and an MN-720 Wireless card in my Dell
Latitude laptop, running Windows XP Pro. I use WPA-PSK and am frequently
getting disconnected from the network. I have checked many other articles
all suggest that I disable 802.1xxx authentication, but under the properties
menu this is disabled (in the on position).

Thanks

I forgot to mention, even when I get disconnected, I can still see the
wireless signal (my laptop picks up the SSID) and the signal strength is
listed as "Excellent" or "Very Good"

Thanks in advance

"David McKinnon" <contactint@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54G Router and an MN-720 Wireless card in my Dell
> Latitude laptop, running Windows XP Pro. I use WPA-PSK and am frequently
> getting disconnected from the network. I have checked many other articles
> all suggest that I disable 802.1xxx authentication, but under the
properties
> menu this is disabled (in the on position).
>
> Thanks

You don't want to (you can't) disable 802.1x for WPA-PSK. That is a
fix for WEP issues, not WPA-PSK.

First, what firmware is in the Linksys? Update to the latest version.
What is the rekey interval set to on the Linksys? Try 300
Third, are you running a beta/RC of XP SP2 ?

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:21:25 GMT, "David McKinnon"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I have the exact same problem. WRT54G and a Broadcom Maxperformance 54G
built-in my R3000 Compaq laptop. When it happens, I can see my connection as
Verry Good or Excellent and at 54Mbps. but if I use the card util to see the
status, I see "key absent" and only when the "key absent" disepear that my
connection will come back to life. It happens on a random basis and can last
for 10 seconds up to many minutes. I can be a day without it happening and 2
days with disconnection al the time...

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] wrote:
|| You don't want to (you can't) disable 802.1x for WPA-PSK. That is a
|| fix for WEP issues, not WPA-PSK.
|| First, what firmware is in the Linksys? Update to the latest version.
|| What is the rekey interval set to on the Linksys? Try 300
|| Third, are you running a beta/RC of XP SP2 ?
|| On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:21:25 GMT, "David McKinnon"
|| <contactint@hotmail.com> wrote:
||| I forgot to mention, even when I get disconnected, I can still see
||| the wireless signal (my laptop picks up the SSID) and the signal
||| strength is listed as "Excellent" or "Very Good"
||| Thanks in advance
||| "David McKinnon" <contactint@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|| --
|| Barb Bowman
|| Expert Zone Columnist
|| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
|| MS-MVP (Windows)

Are you trying to use any of the performance doubling/boosting/frame
bursting features?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Try the following:

* On the WRT54G, set the group key renewal to 3600 and restart the router.

* In XP, edit the registry and add a DWORD registry key called "AuthMode"
(no quotes) to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parameters\General\Global" set
it to 2 (i.e. 00000002) and restart the computer afterwards.

Also, if you check the system event log (control panel->administrative
tools->event viewer->system), are there any events that coincide with the
disconnection?

-Yves

"David McKinnon" <contactint@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54G Router and an MN-720 Wireless card in my Dell
> Latitude laptop, running Windows XP Pro. I use WPA-PSK and am frequently
> getting disconnected from the network. I have checked many other articles
> all suggest that I disable 802.1xxx authentication, but under the
properties
> menu this is disabled (in the on position).
>
> Thanks

The firmware has been updated to the latest version. XP has all the latest
service patches, but from windowsupdate, so I don't think that it would
include any RC code.

Dave

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Are you trying to use any of the performance doubling/boosting/frame
> bursting features?
>
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:57:35 -0400, "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada>
> wrote:
>
> >I have the exact same problem. WRT54G and a Broadcom Maxperformance 54G
> >built-in my R3000 Compaq laptop. When it happens, I can see my connection
as
> >Verry Good or Excellent and at 54Mbps. but if I use the card util to see
the
> >status, I see "key absent" and only when the "key absent" disepear that
my
> >connection will come back to life. It happens on a random basis and can
last
> >for 10 seconds up to many minutes. I can be a day without it happening
and 2
> >days with disconnection al the time...

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

But are you using any special modes of the driver and the router other
than the regular G speeds?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:57:54 GMT, "David McKinnon"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

No, none of these options are available/enable
Thanks

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] wrote:
|| Are you trying to use any of the performance doubling/boosting/frame
|| bursting features?
|| On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:57:35 -0400, "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada>
|| wrote:
||| I have the exact same problem. WRT54G and a Broadcom Maxperformance
||| 54G built-in my R3000 Compaq laptop. When it happens, I can see my
||| connection as Verry Good or Excellent and at 54Mbps. but if I use
||| the card util to see the status, I see "key absent" and only when
||| the "key absent" disepear that my connection will come back to
||| life. It happens on a random basis and can last for 10 seconds up
||| to many minutes. I can be a day without it happening and 2 days
||| with disconnection al the time...
|| --
|| Barb Bowman
|| Expert Zone Columnist
|| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
|| MS-MVP (Windows)

What firmware is in the WRT54G and what is the rekey interval set to?
See THIS thread:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10448107~mode=flat and see if
that helps.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I have applied all the suggestions from the various posts suggested, I
haven't had a problem since, but it's only been 30 minutes. So it's longer
than I have had access in the past, but not long enough to say for sure.

Thanks for the help,

> What firmware is in the WRT54G and what is the rekey interval set to?
> See THIS thread:
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10448107~mode=flat and see if
> that helps.
>
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:20:21 GMT, "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote:
>
> >No, none of these options are available/enable
> >Thanks

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

I had the problem with the latest firmware, tried the free one from Sveasoft
as well. No difference apart from the features. I also have all latest
patches, drivers and tried the registry change suggested in the forum
thread. After reading David McKinnon posts, I have to say that my problem is
not exactly as his. I get longer uptime them him. I can stay connected for
hours and then bang! I get the "absent key" thing. Now to be honest, I'm
thinking that it may be something in the house, or at my neighbours, since I
never have problem at work or elsewhere. Also, in my adventure, I tried the
MN-700 from Microsoft and had the same problem. I sold it to a friend and
she never has this problem.

What bugs me to no end is: How is it possible for my card to see an
excellent connection but not been able to give me an IP or let me use the
internet? Could a cordless phone create that problem? I mean, would my
signal just drop, instead of still showing up as Very Good or something?

Also, sometimes, when the "key absent" persist, it will finally end up
loosing the connection completely. At that moment, if I use Windows to
search for WiFi, it finds nothing. But Netstumpler will see it and report it
as using wep and been on the correct channel...

Thanks very much for all your help.

Maxx

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] wrote:
|| What firmware is in the WRT54G and what is the rekey interval set to?
|| See THIS thread:
|| http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10448107~mode=flat and see if
|| that helps.
|| On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:20:21 GMT, "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote:
||| No, none of these options are available/enable
||| Thanks
|| --
|| Barb Bowman
|| Expert Zone Columnist
|| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
|| MS-MVP (Windows)

2.4GHz cordless phones use the same wireless band as 802.11b/g
wireless and can indeed cause interference and drops.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Thanks Barb ;)