Frequent DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD

p3quod

Commendable
Mar 30, 2018
Hello all, I am sorry for a few reasons 1) if this thread is in the incorrect place, as I am new to the site, and have no idea what im doing 2) if this has been posted on before. I have attempted to use others strategies to solve my issue, but sadly none of it seems to work. So anyway...let me start from the beginning....

About 3 months ago, I got a few new sticks of ram for the holidays. The day of, I started getting frequent BSOD with the stopcode: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The BSOD seems to happen randomly, sometimes in the middle of a game, sometimes while in a word doc, sometimes while it is sitting idle in the middle of the night. I immediately suspected the ram, and ran memtest overnight with no issues. I also disabled all overclocks on the PC, as i read that they could cause the errors. I updated all drivers, and ran driver verifier with no issues. None of this helped my issue, as the BSOD continued.

Finally i gave up, and did a complete fresh install of windows(entirely wiped all hard-drives in the process) about a month ago. The issue "stopped" for about a month, before reappearing the other day. Hoped it was a one time issue...but im screwed i guess, and im getting one crash per day again.

I ran whocrashed and got the following information:

On Fri 3/30/2018 7:46:56 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\033018-32421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x175510)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x2FDE9C14AEA, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF801224BCE63)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 3/27/2018 12:22:15 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032718-36484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80D7CADB503)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFF958E749F8A28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80D7CADB503)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_7a39871618b19f06\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 390.77
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 390.77
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 390.77 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Anything would be helpful in solving this issue, I just want to get down to the issue, so that i can count on my computer functioning again. Here are computer specs if they help at all:

Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 16299
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: MS-7922, MSI, Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17126060032 bytes total

Solution
Hello p3quod

Looks like the NVIDIA driver is cause the issue. Can you please check and confirm if the graphics driver is updated along with all the Windows updates installed?

If the latest graphics driver is installed, please try rolling it back to its previous built and see if this fixes the issue.

You can also try checking and updating your BIOS if possible. Please make sure to back up the current BIOS before updating.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!!
Hello p3quod

Looks like the NVIDIA driver is cause the issue. Can you please check and confirm if the graphics driver is updated along with all the Windows updates installed?

If the latest graphics driver is installed, please try rolling it back to its previous built and see if this fixes the issue.

You can also try checking and updating your BIOS if possible. Please make sure to back up the current BIOS before updating.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!!

Solution