[SOLVED] Frequent GPU/CPU usage and clock drops whilst playing games with new graphics card...

Nov 26, 2018
Hi,

Since I added an RX-570 into my PC I've been getting massive GPU and CPU usage drops as well as the clock speed of both dropping (all at the same time) whilst playing fairly new 3D games. This happens every 10 seconds or so and will make games stutter extremely badly when it does. I'm not sure if it's a problem with cooling, or if maybe my CPU is bottle-necking my GPU. It could also be the fact that I got a fairly cheap ASRock motherboard that really isn't meant for gaming. My old graphics card ( a 750ti ) would never get drops like this...Please could I have some suggestions as to what to do?

Specs:

. RX-570

. i5-3470

. 8gb DDR3 - 1600mhz

. 500W EVGA psu

. ASROCK h71m dg3 Mobo

Solution
Check the CPU's temperature specifications.

Here is a generic link:

https://www.wepc.com/tips/optimal-cpu-gpu-temperature-gaming/

According to the link 70 degrees Celsius is above the recommend temperature for an i5 per the table.

However, the third paragraph states ideal temperature being between 75 - 80 degrees Celsius.

You should read the temperature specifications matching your CPU and overall computer setup.

The overall circumstances do indeed, to me at least, suggest probable overheating. CPU throttling down being key indicator.

Nov 26, 2018

Hi thanks for replying,

The games it's happening in at the moment are Forza Horizon 4, GTA 5, Hitman 2 and several Ubisoft games. My PC mostly meets the recommended requirements for these games, and they all run at a very high frame rate, but drop down frequently. I've checked msi afterburner and the cpu clock always drops down to exactly half when it stutters, which is weird...

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe your system's performance.

Open one tool or the other and just watch/explore to get a sense of the information being presented and how to navigate about.

Let the computer stabilize. Slide the window to one side and leave open.

Game as normal while watching performance. See if and where any bottlenecks occur.

And Reliability History/Manager may be capturing some relevant information.

Start with the above and see what you can discover.

Nov 26, 2018

There doesn't seem to be any pattern or anything causing the stutters. They're just happening completely randomly, and the CPU clock always goes down to the exact same value (about half what it usually is) which makes it seem as though some sort of program is causing it to happen...Is 70 degrees Celsius too hot for the CPU?

Ralston18

Titan
Check the CPU's temperature specifications.

Here is a generic link:

https://www.wepc.com/tips/optimal-cpu-gpu-temperature-gaming/

According to the link 70 degrees Celsius is above the recommend temperature for an i5 per the table.

However, the third paragraph states ideal temperature being between 75 - 80 degrees Celsius.

You should read the temperature specifications matching your CPU and overall computer setup.

The overall circumstances do indeed, to me at least, suggest probable overheating. CPU throttling down being key indicator.

Solution