[SOLVED] Frequent Memory Management BSOD in new pc Build

Nov 9, 2020
Hello, just recently decided to join the PC building community, long time pc gamer, first time builder. Just finished my first rig on a budget, but i keep getting BSOD (at least once a day, usually when i log in i get MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD) recently while using it the pc felt sluggish and it crashed with an "System_Thread_Excepcion" BSOD. The first time i got the Memory_Manegement bsod when i logged back in, no icons where shown on the desktop and couldnt open task manager (but was able to log in to my user), so i assumed windows was corruped and did a fresh install from a USB created with the tool provided by Windows. Went through the process of installing motherboard drivers and AMD graphic drivers all over again, enabled DOCP on my 3200mhz Gskill 2x8 kit, played some Warzone for about 2 hours with "stable" fps and temps (the game doesnt run smoothly on my Ryzen 5 3400g inherently i think), shut it off and went to sleep. When i logged in the afternoon the next day, same thing BSOD after i log in to my user only this time Windows was usable afterwards. And, thats kinda where i am now, yesterday i got another memory management bsod after logging in and in between the two memory management erros i got after the fresh install, there was an instance where the i powered the pc, it turned on, then turned off (i opened it and checked for contact points as well as reseating the RAM and doing a more decent cable management that what i did the first time i build it, but found nothing problematic inside). Most recently, i got an "System_Thread_Excepcion" while browsing Firefox, wich kinda led me to panic and create this post since i no longer know what is going on.
Things ive done:
Ran memory diagnostics tool: found no errors
Ran sfc: found errors after the first Memory_management bsod and fixed them, i have ran it again but found no errors
Checked both my SSD and HDD for errors using Windows tool
Uninstalled Avira antivirus (just recently, cant say if it did anything)
Uninstalled and did Fresh install of AMD Radeon drivers
Changed the slot of the RAM, always using the correct slot according to the manual, also my set is on the QVL
Cleared CMOS

Dump files for BSOD as well as perfom report (i couldnt use Sysnative because it got stuck on Waiting for SystemInfo and perfom didnt actually finish after 60 seconds i had to close it and manually look for the report, might be related) : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SFyS3WoHTX9fjagJLNm1N4iwsD9nfy2V?usp=sharing

SPECS:

OS originally installed: No, fresh install from usb stick

Age of hardware: less than 1 week old

Age of OS: 5-11-2020 (day that windows corrupted and did fresh install)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B-450m plus gaming

PSU: Corsair CV450 80plus bronze

Bios version: 2202

G Skill Flare x 2x8gb

Solution
Yes

Win 10 by default uses Fast Startup which is a hybrid hibernate. If you turn PC off at back to avoid a light, you are shutting WIn 10 off at same time. Unexpectedly. This can corrupt files. I have seen it before.

As you use an ssd as boot drive, turn it off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
I never have it on as I never know when I may need to unplug PC and it really doesn't help if you have an ssd as its only real purpose is to speed up booting on hdd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Memory Management BSOD isn't just ram.
It can be drivers so helps to update motherbaord ones... check you have newest on website
and it can be storage drives as the page file is on boot drive and windows counts it as memory.

I will ask a friend to check dumps but he may not be here right now, and I have to go out for 90 minutes myself.

Is ram on the compatability listing for motherboard?

Nov 9, 2020
Memory Management BSOD isn't just ram.
It can be drivers so helps to update motherbaord ones... check you have newest on website
and it can be storage drives as the page file is on boot drive and windows counts it as memory.

I will ask a friend to check dumps but he may not be here right now, and I have to go out for 90 minutes myself.

Is ram on the compatability listing for motherboard?

Thanks for answering, as far as bios and drivers i have the latest ones (for Radeon Graphics and SATA, directly from ASUS website for my mobo). At the time of the memory management bsod,i didnt had installed the AMD chipset drivers (installed them after the second mem_management bsod), but this morning i got a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION bsod. Right before it crashed, the PC felt slugishh, a video that was running smoothly suddenly became really choppy, it was like that for a while then it crashed. And it keeps happening, without it crashing though, it runs smoothly and fast and then all of the sudden it feels sluggish.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/njwyk7bh/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:110920-9125-01.dmp (Nov 9 2020 - 09:16:24)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:110820-8687-01.dmp (Nov 8 2020 - 16:39:17)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dllhost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 39 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:110720-10328-01.dmp (Nov 7 2020 - 14:08:20)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Get-AppxVersion.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 53 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-B450M-PLUS-GAMING/
You have the latest BIOS already installed, version 2202.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Edit: Results for dump file below: https://jsfiddle.net/kxv1g05y/show
File information:111020-9906-01.dmp (Nov 10 2020 - 11:02:02)
Bugcheck:INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (A0)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

Last edited:
Reactions: Panchosoeloso
Nov 9, 2020
So, i woke up turned on the pc ran 30 mins of memtest (0 errors), watched a video (30 mins or so maybe more), then shut it off to take a shower. Turned it back on after the shower, i have the speaker connected to the motherboard and it gives the 1 short beep that means everything is okay, and then the pc shuts off. I turn it back on and start normally, but i check and i get this bluescreen dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VTkCLDc8y7BYPWieBQ0gUgU6U00n77bi/view?usp=sharing

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR also not the first time this has happened if you need that dump i can provide it but this is the most recent

So far, with the exception of SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION bsod, the crashes happen either when im logging in (memory_management) or when im booting (internal_power_error).

EDIT: Was just playing Valorant, and the game kept closing with no apparent reason (no error code, nothing), after the second time it crashed and i reopened it (because i was in the middle of a game) i get a black screen and have to reboot. (no bsod dump though)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
valorant is a source of BSOD itself. it is the cause and victim of many now. Almost tempted to tell people to stop playing it while I am trying to fix PC as it could complicate matters.

What storage drives do you have? mvme, ssd, hdd? what make/models?

internal power errors can be software.

1st crash gardenman converted so far shows fltmgr.sys which is a file used by Microsoft to ensure files are where they should be on storage drives.
2nd crash was in virtual memory which is either ram or page file. Page file is on C drive (normally)
3rd was in virtaul memory again

Nov 9, 2020
Thanks for replying i use a kingstonA400 240gb SSD as my OS device, just windows and user files on this one, and a Barracuda Seagate 1Tb for games and everything else (including Valorant). I did a chkdsk, but since my SSD is my OS (NTFS type) i rebooted and it checked and fixed it (maybe, dont really know since i dont know if a log was created that shows it fixed anything). I used the windows tool to check disk on both and showed no errors. I feel its important as well, i was reading about this recently, my SSD is not screwed down (because my case configuration really doesnt allow it, cables cant reach if i screw due to the angle of the connectors) and it is in front of my case fans, can the vibrations affect my SSD reliability and have anything to do with this? Keep in mind this is system is a week old, everything was new and freshly opened when i first build it, and software (like AIDA64) shows healthy drives

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nov 9, 2020
Checked the log and Kingston SSD Manager, both are saying my ssd is in correct state and healthy.
Checking around in my device manager i noticed that no matter how many times i Uninstalled and did Fresh install of AMD Radeon drivers, everytime on the Events log of the device manager it says "device not started (amdkmdag)". this happens even if i reinstall windows (wich ive done 3 times already) , this also happens with PCI GBE driver and AMD PGIO controller. Also noticed it in one of the eight processors "AMD Ryzen 5 3400g with Radeon Vega Graphics" on device manager used to say "device not started" , but after doing a windows update and reboot it didnt showed up again. The other two drivers i mentioned still show "device not started" and some program in ().
I have also went back to 2133mhz on my ram until i feel the sistem is stable enough on any configuration.
Also just did a disk cleanup, and it all went fine.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nov 9, 2020
I have tried from both places, on my first windows install i used the mobo link to graphics driver, and on second and third install ive used the drivers shown on the Radeon page, the same goes for the chipset driver, first time from mobo then AMD. Only difference i could pinpoint, is radeon page recommends the 20.9.1 version of Radeon sofware while the Mobo page recommends version 20.10.20. (since im just recently using the 20.9.1 version and in everyother version of windows ive used 20.10 and it crashed, im gonna try 20.9.1, and see how it goes but im not sure its the source of my problem)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think oem just get different version numbers but drivers are the same inside package. it explains how motherbaord site has a newer version than AMD do.

pci gbe? is that ethernet? so realtek drivers won't stick? AMD drivers don't work.

strange. that isn't normal, even for PC with BSOD.

Ran memory diagnostics tool: found no errors
can we get a second opinion?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Nov 9, 2020
i think oem just get different version numbers but drivers are the same inside package. it explains how motherbaord site has a newer version than AMD do.

pci gbe? is that ethernet? so realtek drivers won't stick? AMD drivers don't work.

strange. that isn't normal, even for PC with BSOD.

can we get a second opinion?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Ok, this might take some time. Im doing everything as you tell me to do it (appreciate the help very much btw) so now im running memtest86 from a usb stick on one RAM stick. 74% of first pass 0 erros, gonna run 4 passes on both sticks individually, then together but going back to the 3200mhz docp that my g skill kit is designed to run in (the reason i bought it too). Will probably go to sleep soon though (2am here in Chile). But i will leave memtest going, as soon as i wake up i will check the post. (My anxious disorder makes it impossible to focus on anything until i feel ive solved this)

Colif

Win 11 Master
memtest best run at night while you sleep so its not wasting your time in day.

just want to check ram as victims aren't normal ones to see. they were all parts of windows that don't normally appear in BSOD (System does, but the other 2 not so much)

have a good sleep. I know all about 1 track mind, I spent most of the day looking at a new monitor and if I hadn't decided yet no one would see me until I had.

Nov 9, 2020
So i ran each stick individually at 2133 stock, both didnt receive any errors after 4 passes of memtest86. So then i decided to test both sticks at 2133, 0 errors. Now i have to work on some things, but the next testing is going to be at 3200mhz and see what happens. But if it only shows errors at 3200 mhz, what could it mean?. That my RAM is bad, or that my cpu or mobo have some stability issues?
Also noticed some other things like my windows Start icon not working but the rest of the bar works fine, this is happening right now as i log in after the 2133mhz x2 sticks memtest86 test. This has also happened once before, but only yesterday.
Edit1: 3rd pass of memtest86 with both sticks at 3200mhz still no errors. Could my problems be caused due to low virtual memory? My paging file is only 2gb . And i use high ram apps like CoD:warzone that ive seen use up to 13.1gb of ram not counting the 2gb my ryzen 5 3400g hogs for itself. Now it has never crashed while playing Warzone, and it has bsods mostly on login and boot.
Edit2: Memtest86 on both sticks results ; 4 passes = 0 errors, it might be related to my paging file so i changed it to my HDD and increased the size from 2gb to 8-12 gb. Will now try to reinstall AMD drivers again, using amd cleanup tool.
Edit3: Same result on drivers, it installs without errors, when i check in device manager it says "this device is working properly", but when i check the events log the last event is "device not started (amdkmdag)", this doesnt happen when i use the Windows Display, every time i uninstall AMD video drivers windows displays events show "device started".

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020
My device status on the Radeon Graphics driver reads the following:
0180200A
DN_DRIVER_LOADED
DN_STARTED
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

same message on the event log : device not started (amdkmdag)

Nov 9, 2020
So new discovery, wanna hear your opinion about this, since i can run the system stable practically most of the time (with the exception of Valorant and that one BSOD while browsing mozilla) i can play pretty highly demanding games (like warzone that uses up to 13.1 gb of ram, not to mention the 2gb reserved for the GPU for hours whithout problems). I realized this, through the first few days of using this pc i didnt know how to turn off the LED on the motherboard (case has glass so its visible) and it was so annoying when i wanted to fall asleep so i turned the switch off on the PSU, i realized in my power settings that i have Fast Boot on and upon further inspection with turnedontimes i realized everytime i shutted my computer off using the "Power off" button on the Startup menu, i was actually going to Sleep mode instead of powering off. Could i have caused the memory corruption BSOD and windows problems in general by actually causing an Unexpected Shutdown of my PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes

Win 10 by default uses Fast Startup which is a hybrid hibernate. If you turn PC off at back to avoid a light, you are shutting WIn 10 off at same time. Unexpectedly. This can corrupt files. I have seen it before.

As you use an ssd as boot drive, turn it off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
I never have it on as I never know when I may need to unplug PC and it really doesn't help if you have an ssd as its only real purpose is to speed up booting on hdd.

Solution
Nov 9, 2020
I think i found the problem, i turned fast boot off, booting time is way faster now (purpose of my ssd), and the settings that keep my LED light off are now saved, performance is very stable, so im gonna say this is probably what was causing my problems (so the problem was me, basically), if anything else happens i will open another post. but lets call it solved. I want to thank you very much, you have been of great help.