[SOLVED] Frequent SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION and others BSOD on win 10

Lordadus

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
I've been having system freezes followed by a BSOD for quite a while, no luck on fixing it. Initially, some windows features stop working like the start menu and eventually everything freezes, and BSOD after a minute or so. The BSOD stays at 0% and if I wait a while it restarts but it doesn't boot (I get error code 0xc000000e), I have to turn it off, wait a few seconds then turn it on, boots normally. It seems to happen when I have a lot of programs open, though it has almost always happened when I try to move large files from my HDD to my SSD (doesn't happen if I move files from SSD to HDD). My windows is installed in the SSD by the way.

Most of the time, the BSOD reads SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION but I've also gotten:
CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
MEMORY MANAGEMENT (got this one only once while transfering files)
KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR
UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION

I've tried:
-running sfc scan
-running CHKDSK
-running Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
-updating drivers
-updating BIOS
-updating windows
-checking hard drive health (all programs say they're fine)
-running windows memory test and memtest (no errors found)
-checking if any cables aren't connected properly
-and lastly, which I was 99% sure it would fix, formatting my SSD and reinstalling windows

I've also looked for the minidump files but it doesn't seem to be generating them, I've tried fixing it but no luck so I've used SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and am posting the files here https://we.tl/t-zEC0ezL4AQ

Specs
GPU: GTX 1060 3gb
CPU: i5 7400
RAM: 8gb
Motherboard: GIGABYTE H110M-H
SSD: Kingston 120gb SV300
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

Solution
If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it then test the PSU per the second link above.

Or get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help if that is at all viable and safe with respect to quarantine restrictions.

More directly, you could order a replacement PSU in accordance with the third link.

Maybe borrow a PSU from someone. Swap it in to replace the current PSU.

If the BSOD's stop then it was the PSU. Being 4 years old it is likely nearing its' designed EOL (End-of-Life).

Especially if heavily used for gaming, intense graphics work, bit-mining etc..

Lordadus

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

How full are the disk drives - especially the Kingston 120 GB SSD?

Run the manufacturer's drive diagnostic software on the SSD

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/ssdmanager

(Do verify that I found the applicable diagnostic software.)

Overall, the SSD may be too small. For the most part, Windows 10 should have 240 GB to begin with.
PSU is a cooler master g650m, 650w, about 4 years old

SSD has 49,2 GB free, I have one game installed on it. I've had windows installed on it for a while and never had problems. Here's the diagnostics View: https://imgur.com/a/ywnvWCX

Lordadus

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
Don't know if this is useful information, but I'm checking event viewer and it seems that everytime I get a BSOD, this error shows up in the event viewer at about the same time:

"The Previous Versions Library service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Along with this one: "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

Ralston18

Titan
PSU is a possible culprit based on its age.

However, it would be helpful if a few more error codes etc. could be gleaned out.

Are you seeing any other errors in Reliability History?

You mentioned checking cables - good.

Were you able to check if all cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place?

Lordadus

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
PSU is a possible culprit based on its age.

However, it would be helpful if a few more error codes etc. could be gleaned out.

Are you seeing any other errors in Reliability History?

You mentioned checking cables - good.

Were you able to check if all cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place?
Reliability Monitor only shows "Windows was not properly shut down" errors at times where the freezes happened

Ralston18

Titan

Lordadus

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020
That, to me, is another indication of a PSU problem.

Suggested readings:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Tell-When-Computer-Power-Supply-Is-Failing

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not that you should necessarily do physical testing right now....

Objective is to determine if, after reading, you recognize that other symptoms have occurred.
I guess the only symptom I see is this: "The computer is on for a while, but maybe while you're playing a game or using another application it just randomly turns off without warning. It might also display a blue screen of death." In this case, It always happens with the blue screen.

Is there anything else I could investigate?

Ralston18

Titan
If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it then test the PSU per the second link above.

Or get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help if that is at all viable and safe with respect to quarantine restrictions.

More directly, you could order a replacement PSU in accordance with the third link.

If the BSOD's stop then it was the PSU. Being 4 years old it is likely nearing its' designed EOL (End-of-Life).

Solution

Lordadus

Prominent
Apr 21, 2020

Ok, I don't know If I have a multi-meter around, I have to look around. Thank you for the help!