Frequent wireless disconnects

Nov 13, 2018
For the past several months I've been trying to figure out why I keep losing internet connectivity on my custom built desktop computer.

I started with AT&T internet and they gave me a USB adapter that wirelessly connected to the AT&T gateway receiver. When I kept losing connectivity, the AT&T techs tried a wired connection but couldn't make it work due to the type of wiring in my apartment. They also in the meantime reconfigured and upgraded things at the exterior service box. Eventually I ended up with a wired connection via a PoE adapter.

That too still didn't resolve the problem. After months of having this issue, I changed providers to Spectrum. I was able to get faster internet out of it, but that's about it. I still faced periodic dropouts on the internet connection.

I'm thinking that the built-in ethernet on the Asus Z97-A board is failing. On the other hand though, with prior internet service with a different provider but with the same PC, there were no issues.

I can only conclude that either something with where I live now and the two providers I've tried is an issue, or there is a hardware issue.

I've considered getting an add on network card, but am wondering if that will actually fix the problem or if it won't have any effect.