Fresh install of Win 7 Pro 64bit with Asus P9X79 Pro on SSD drive

stephenp

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Hi there,

UPDATE: I guess I didn't make it clear originally that I am ready to do a FRESH install today but need some advice to be sure I do it correctly.

I've had nothing but problems with this motherboard. Recently I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64bit, but still running into issues. I two CineRaid H458 enclosures connected via eSata which randomly disappear, requiring a reboot. But I often can't boot when they are plugged in or Win7 hangs on loading windows. Researching this issue it looks like it's something to do with the P9x79 mobo...

I ran across http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume-sleep-booted-raid#t2068879 inwhich Jaquith recommended the correct way of installing drivers for this board durring (not after) setup. But I'm not sure if it's applicable to me.. I don't have RAID setup at all (except on the self-contained CineRaid boxes which will have nothing to do with the boot drive).

The boot drive will be a Samsung SSD drive (120GB). I have two other data drives I will be using (both 1TB I believe) as well as both of the 4TB CineRaid RAID boxes connected via eSata.

For a non-raid setup (and no seperate cache drive, where should I plug the SSD drive into? The Intel/Marvel just confuses me... What's applicable to me?

Thank you for any help!

-Stephen

Solution
Hello... 1) Install with only the SSD connected/powered... Intel hardware Sata connection would be best. Sata0
2) BiO's Sata setting AHCI will require a driver pre-install for Windows... IDE Sata mode will not.

stephenp

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Thank you Ironsounds!

So I'll connect the blank SSD drive to the on of the two grey Intel connectors (not the two Marvel). Then in BIOS I should set SATA to IDE instead of AHCI, in order to NOT be required to use a driver pre-install?

I had read, again from posts by Jaquith ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307833-30-configuring-p9x79-deluxe-booting-windows-problem ) that it was best to use the pre-install Intel drivers. I don't mean to question you, but I just want to be sure I'm asking the right questions.

I plan to install of DVD.

Thank you!

-Stephen

Hello... Yes...Set Sata IDE mode ( save and Exit ) if you want driverless install. I have a few computer set like that with SSD.
Someone may interject here... "ACHI is Faster" " bad advice"... Option is yours... if your in a hurry, IDE with SSD works just fine.

Connect your DVD to Sata2 Sata3 etc... Where ever it is read for windows install media. There will be no speed problems here... And it can be moved later.

...after Windows gets installed...

1) Load Intel MB chipset drivers.
2) Load Intel Management Engine Interface driver
3) Load Intel® 82579V, 1 x Gigabit LAN driver.
4) Load Realtek® ALC898 driver
5) Load ASMedia® USB 3.0 driver
6) Load Blue tooth driver
7) Load Video card Driver
8) load Video card Audio driver

What Other hardware in your device manager needs a driver? Yellow or Red mark shown and device type?

Once you are happy and your Device manager is Happy with your Windows install...

Create A Restore Point call it "Happy drivers"

Start adding a new hd one at a time...
1) give Admin permision to use the drive.
2) Configure/format/partition/drive letter as needed.

Create A Restore Point call it "Happy drives"

Create folders "Program files" "Program files (x86)" "Documents" "Temp" on the those new HD's.
Start loading Programs using the "Custom Install" option to these locations, too SAVE SSD space.

Create A Restore Point call it "Fresh install"

stephenp

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Thank you!

1) So after I get Windows up and running I then download and install the Intel MB chipset drivers (from ASUS support, I assume)?

2) Then do I change anything again in BIOS, or just leave Sata IDE mode set and call it a day?

3) For the install media (DVD) I assume I plug the Sata DVD drive into one of the 4 SATA 3G (blue) ports.

4) After the install, which ports should I utilize for the additional non-ssd HDDs? Should I ever use the Marvell ports?

Thank you!

-Stephen

Hello... read above as I update my response to keep it organized for others to read.

1) Yes... Drivers for your MB are for hardware, that is equipt on your MB, and ASUS has them for download... I put them all on USB stick before starting the Windows install... some items might not apply to your personal needs or MB hardware, such as utilites... so read carefully.
2) SATA IDE All day now... the IDE/AHCI gets programed into the Windows startup file for your install... if set the other way, Windows will not BOOT with that hardrive.
3) Where ever it works.
4) Where ever it works... the Intel hardware ports are pretty good... the others I have not researched... you can experiment/research their best use... and you can change them later... just don't start messing with your BOOT drive settings.

stephenp

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Thanks again Ironsounds. I just got Windows installed and I'm following your steps- it's working so far!

I guess I should have mentioned this is intended for video editing. So if AHCI does provide any benefit, it would probably be in my best interest to get it working. But even if IDE is at a disadvantage it HAS to work better than my current setup (which was all jacked up). Once I get this up and running and get a few projects edited I'll look into the AHCI setup again. But again, it's working so far and I'm happy!

Thank you again,
-Stephen

Hello... There is a method that will allow IDE to AHCI or AHCI to IDE change to the BOOT drive... it is a advanced procedure of Editing the Windows Registry file and changing the BIO's setting... So you CAN either load the AHCI driver before or after the Windows install. B ) for me it can be faster when dealing with OEM/Chinese type Hardrive/MB repairs... Where identifing the Chip or locating a AHCI Driver for the MB Hardware is going to take alot of time.... SATA IDE is pretty much the Standard hardware driver that Works with everything... So that MODE is a ASAP remedy and will allow a Fast Win7 and earlier Versions install.

AHCI is required when running RAID, Redundant Drives, native command queuing, Multi Corporate-Business Drives, and HOT PLugging.

But you will NOT need to Re-load Windows to change this... Like I said before "Choice is yours", and now you have learned When, How and Why to install a Win7 OS either way... Win8 (and newer versions) are starting to include the INTEL hardware driver for AHCI on the Install disk.
Like I said before " a driver is needed for the hardware" and your Marvell® PCIe 9128 and ASMedia® ASM1061 hardware ports will need them installed for use in the different operation modes.

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services.
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify.
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok".
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot and enter BIOS.
8. While in BIOS, change SATA mode to AHCI ( save and Exit ) and reboot system.