Fresh install Windows 10 from USB causing black screen with blinking underscore

nomoremrnice

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
I wanted to install a fresh build of Windows 10 (or 7) on my Asus laptop using a USB installer. I've checked other threads and the solutions haven't worked for me; usually changing BIOS settings or using a new USB. Here's how I got to this point:

1) Made a Windows 10 USB installer (.iso form Microsoft.com) using Boot Camp Assistant on my Mac
2) On boot of my laptop, went to BIOS and chose the USB removable disk as the priority device for boot order
3) Rebooted and got a black screen with a blinking underscore

To make sure that it wasn't an issue with the USB, I made an installer for Ubuntu and was able to successfully load it using the same method above.

Has anyone solved an issue like this before or know of something else I might be able to try? Happy to give more info if it helps to debug the situation.

Thanks!

Solution
did it have win 10 on it already? that laptop only has win 7 drivers but if it worked before, it might work again.

For everyone who ran into this same problem also:
Plug your USB-memory stick into your notebook
Reboot your laptop (make sure you plugged the memory stick in first!)
Press <Esc> straight after the first screen comes up which will get you into your BIOS
You will see the USB stick as one of the boot options
Remember: it speaks for itself that it must be a bootable stick to be able to boot from it
In case you don't see your stick present after following above steps, you might try these
next steps out. Be careful not to mess around with other settings in the BIOS you are not familiar with, but if you just keep to the next...

nomoremrnice

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
which Asus laptop is it? What model?
My laptop is an ASUS N51V. It's quite old, but here's the specs on notebook check: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N51V-Notebook.19745.0.html

Some need to be set to CSM mode to boot off USB. Does it have secure boot?
I didn't see anything in my boot options to set it to CSM. I thought the problem had to do with inability to boot from USB which is why I tried booting a Linux build (Ubuntu) instead and was successful. I can list out the options I have on BIOS if it's helpful.

Does it have fast boot as on some bios that means it skips all USB devices at boot up
Similar to the previous question, I was able to successful boot from USB to install Ubuntu, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with skipping USB devices.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did it have win 10 on it already? that laptop only has win 7 drivers but if it worked before, it might work again.

For everyone who ran into this same problem also:
Plug your USB-memory stick into your notebook
Reboot your laptop (make sure you plugged the memory stick in first!)
Press <Esc> straight after the first screen comes up which will get you into your BIOS
You will see the USB stick as one of the boot options
Remember: it speaks for itself that it must be a bootable stick to be able to boot from it
In case you don't see your stick present after following above steps, you might try these
next steps out. Be careful not to mess around with other settings in the BIOS you are not familiar with, but if you just keep to the next steps you are safe:

Press <F2> straight after the first screen comes up which will get you into your BIOS
Go to the 'Boot' tab
In this 'Boot Settings'-screen, use your arrow buttons to move down to 'Boot Device Priority' and press <Enter>.
(Double)check if you have [Removable Device] enabled as one of the Boot options.
If not, move down to the '3rd Boot Device' and press <Enter>
Move down to 'Removable Device' and press <Enter>
When it is set, press [F10] to save your settings and press <Enter> to confirm.
The notebook will reboot and when everything else is fine, you can pick the memory stick to boot from, using the <Esc> button after the (re)boot.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=3&model=X58C&id=20090823181405453&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

this isn't exact notebook but Asus bios don't vary a lot

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
I wanted to install a fresh build of Windows 10 (or 7) on my Asus laptop using a USB installer. I've checked other threads and the solutions haven't worked for me; usually changing BIOS settings or using a new USB. Here's how I got to this point:

1. Made a Windows 10 USB installer (.iso form Microsoft.com) using Boot Camp Assistant on my Mac
  2. On boot of my laptop, went to BIOS and chose the USB removable disk as the priority device for boot order
  3. Rebooted and got a black screen with a blinking underscore

To make sure that it wasn't an issue with the USB, I made an installer for Ubuntu and was able to successfully load it using the same method above.

Has anyone solved an issue like this before or know of something else I might be able to try? Happy to give more info if it helps to debug the situation.

Thanks!

Try switching the usb drive in different ports , that has worked for, i hope it would work.