Fresh Installation Errors

May 24, 2018
Okay, so I've spent 1 week trying to diagnose an issue (potentially several issues). I've done several clean installs mostly resulting with the issues below.

Summary of issues (primarily when installing programs/drivers):
- Application corrupt (Chipset drivers).
- Error loading language resource (Chipset drivers).
- 7Zip: CRC Error (happened with Nvidia Driver).
- Slight distortions in display. Mostly occurring bottom of screen.

Started off with some minor issues with apps/games not loading correctly. Initial thought was to repair/re-download the app/game however, 2 days later I had to resort to reinstalling Windows. Tried restoring/resetting Windows through the channels Microsoft provide within Windows 10 which ended in failure to restore/repair and/or make any changes. Formatted SSD, downloaded Windows Installation Media to USB. Installed Windows. Tried installing drivers most failed. Formatted again, but this time updated BIOS and made sure nothing in BIOS settings was interfering with Windows installation. No luck.

Things I've tried:
- WD 2TB HDD (Clean install, same issues as SSD).
- Run Windows Memory Diagnostic, no issues.
- Installed Windows 8.1 from official CD.
- Swapped RAM modules around. Nearly tried each module in each slot (getting there but it's agony to keep reinstalling Windows each time.

RIG

Asus Maximus IX Hero
Intel i7 7700k 4.2Ghz
Hyper X Fury 16GB 2400Mhz 2x8 (I bought two lots so 32GB altogether)
Corsair AX860 PSU
1TB Samsung SSD
2TB WD HDD

Personally, I think it's pointing more toward the RAM modules however they were all working fine for around 4 months of use. Surely all four haven't broke/faulted.

Apologies if unclear, losing sleep over it!

Take care, Reece

Solution

Both thanks for your suggestions. I seemed to have fixed it, shall explain..
Bumped up the CPU voltages. I didn't believe it would have an affect at first however I ran Prime95 and Workers #5 &6 would FATAL ERROR.

What seems odd is how it went from working fine to needing Vcore increases.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Well logic would tell us that your sources are corrupted mean the windows 10 USB and your driver downloads. I suggest re-downloading the nivdia drivers set. And the iso for win10.

If after all this is tried if errors still continue than check the memory for errors take out a stick of ram boot and see if things change.

You can rest the SSD see if it has problems with.

https://ssd-life.com/eng/download-ssdlife.html

May 24, 2018

Hi Dave,

thanks for reply. I've also tried with Windows 8.1 DVD and had same issues so I know it's not the downloads. I installed Nvidia drivers through my laptop and they installed perfectly. So that rules out the Router/ISP. The issues begin before I'm even connected to a Network, before I even install the drivers to run the LAN card I have installed. Same issues when I install Windows on my HDD so that also rules out the SSD. I know my mechanical drive is in perfect condition.

Will update after I've tested the RAM more.

Dave8671

Distinguished
I know it's not the downloads. I installed Nvidia drivers through my laptop and they installed perfectly. 

So you copied the the nvidia driver file from the laptop to your rig? Odds it not the same graphics card in the laptop.

Any download can be a bad download. The CRC error tells me that.

with intel system with the memory controller built into the cpu. you can have bad ram....a bent pin under the cpu or bad cache/memory controller. start with one ram stick. move it in each ram slot see if the error follows the ram or the slot. check for bent pins under the cpu. run intel cpu test. from a usb stick run memtest.

May 24, 2018

Both thanks for your suggestions. I seemed to have fixed it, shall explain..
Bumped up the CPU voltages. I didn't believe it would have an affect at first however I ran Prime95 and Workers #5 &6 would FATAL ERROR.

What seems odd is how it went from working fine to needing Vcore increases.

Solution

Dave8671

Distinguished
Glade you got it figured out. Yes odd that the CPU voltage was to low. Recheck your cable connections on the PSU. Get a PSU
tester if your connections are correct. Though I have not built a system in few years seems things have changed in some areas.

Reinstalling windiws is not always the answer to build troubleshooting.