[SOLVED] Fresh Windows 10 Installation Help

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I plan on saving all of my files/documents on another device. So I want to perform a like new clean install. Is my best option to "Reset this PC" under the "Recovery" tab of the Control Panel?

On a separate USB I plan on creating Windows 10 installation media, do I have to format the USB in anyway or will the website run me through all of that?

Things I'm worried about:

1. I essentially want to wipe everything and it's been a long time since I've "partitioned" any drives. I have many SSDs. When I am greeted with the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen I will select my hopeful C:drive to install Windows BUT for all of the other drives that show up... I want to wipe these clean as well. Am I to "format" or "delete" or "refresh" these drives?

2. Am I able to utilize and insert the Windows Media USB in 3.0 or must it be 2.0? I remember USB being an issue 4yrs ago when I did this.

3. My biggest worry is all of the drivers that are currently up to date on m y PC. I have no idea where/how to download new drivers etc. What can I do ahead of time to find updated drivers? For example GPU and LAN drivers are my biggest concerns.

4. What is Ninite good for?

5. I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of stuff so please give me any advice at all.

Solution
Having only the one drive connected does two things:
1. Prevents any and all accidents. Yes, I know we are all VERY careful when we install the OS, and would NEVER EVER accidentally select the wrong drive.
However, we see exactly that, every week.

2. It prevents Windows from putting the small boot partition on 'the other drive'. Yes, this happens. It is not something you select or can prevent. That is not a problem, until that drive dies, or you take it out for use elsewhere. Then...no boot for you.
And we see that here every DAY.

Takes but seconds to disconnect and reconnect the SATA cables. 10 seconds of effort now can prevent hours of work later.

Drivers are all individual to your specific hardware. Go to those manufacturer sites...

USAFRet

Titan
I plan on saving all of my files/documents on another device. So I want to perform a like new clean install. Is my best option to "Reset this PC" under the "Recovery" tab of the Control Panel?
The BEST option is a full wipe and reinstall. Thusly...

Have ONLY the one drive connected when you do this install.
Drivers will need to be reinstalled. Find them at the manufacturers website, and download. Install after the OS isntall is done.

Ninite?
I use it for all new installs. It allows you to select a bunch of free/OSS applications, and install with a single click.
It gets the latest version of them, and also bypasses whatever crapware is often included with such applications.

Again, I use it on every new install.

D

Deleted member 2720853

If you want to completely clean a drive during Windows setup, press Shift + F10 when you're at the partitions page, and then write the following:

diskpart
list disk
select disk [number of the drive you want to wipe]
(e.g. select disk 0)
clean
exit
exit

Then click refresh and proceed with the installation.

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
The BEST option is a full wipe and reinstall. Thusly...

Have ONLY the one drive connected when you do this install.
Drivers will need to be reinstalled. Find them at the manufacturers website, and download. Install after the OS isntall is done.

Ninite?
I use it for all new installs. It allows you to select a bunch of free/OSS applications, and install with a single click.
It gets the latest version of them, and also bypasses whatever crapware is often included with such applications.

Again, I use it on every new install.

May I ask why you say "Have ONLY the one drive connected when you do this install?"

Yeah thats kind of my issue, I feel like there are SO many drivers I won't even remember. I mean once I establish internet connection on the fresh install I can really only think of nvidia and gigabyte (for my GPU/Mobo) off the top of my head.

What all are you installing from Ninite?

USAFRet

Titan
Having only the one drive connected does two things:
1. Prevents any and all accidents. Yes, I know we are all VERY careful when we install the OS, and would NEVER EVER accidentally select the wrong drive.
However, we see exactly that, every week.

2. It prevents Windows from putting the small boot partition on 'the other drive'. Yes, this happens. It is not something you select or can prevent. That is not a problem, until that drive dies, or you take it out for use elsewhere. Then...no boot for you.
And we see that here every DAY.

Takes but seconds to disconnect and reconnect the SATA cables. 10 seconds of effort now can prevent hours of work later.

Drivers are all individual to your specific hardware. Go to those manufacturer sites before, and download them to a flash drive. Preparation.

Ninite?
Firefox, Chrome, Irfanview, VLC, Blender, Paint.net, Foxit Reader, Libre or OpenOffice if you use those....multiple other things.

Solution