Fresh Windows 8.1 Leak Reveals Even More New Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Hardly any new features that would make me want to install Windows 8 since the beta.
Get rid of all the tablet bloat-ware and then we will talk.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I can't remember if it was in Win95 or Win98, but during the installation process, the Installer gave you an option of Normal, Mobile, or Minimal install, depending on your hardware. This option needs to come back. Let us pick our install method; Desktop (with or without Touch), Notebook (with or without Touch), or Tablet. Come on Microsoft, I am daring you to win my retail dollars!

G

I don't know why we ever lost this idea. It seems Microsoft don't want to admit that different form factors benefit from different interfaces and a one-size-fits-all approach is always going to annoy at least half of the user-base. I would love to see full windowed metro apps and a more mouse-focussed launcher approach (not necessarily the Start Menu) as an option for traditional PCs, with the full-screen and snap "multi-tasking" solutions, and full-screen Start Screen, being offered under a tablet / mobile package. It's the same elsewhere- OS X and iOS are distinct. The guys at Canonical are working on a unified OS that scales it's UI dependent on hardware- Ubuntu phone UI becomes tablet when plugged into a larger display, and becomes full desktop UI when plugged into a keyboard & mouse setup. It seems the only ones who seem to think they can ignore mouse-precision and insist everyone only ever needs one and a half apps on screen at any given moment is Microsoft.

Did you actually read all of the article ::

The blanket update is expected to begin this fall, and for desktop users, may initially cost $40 as was the upgrade to Windows 8 in the same timeframe during 2012.

It says that it will cost $40 for desktop users so that would tend to mean that you have to pay for it and it is not just a free update !!

prince_david

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Actually OS X updates only cost 20$, I don't think this should cost anymore than that. If I had to I'd pay 20 but I am not going to pay 40 for this.

current rumors are that it will be free to those who have already paid for win8, and that the general pricing for Windows from now on will be ~$40 instead of the traditional $100-140 per release.
Going hand in hand with this rumor is the assumption that MS will go the way of Apple and charge for a yearly feature update to the OS instead of the normal 3 year release cycle that MS has just about always done (except for XP with lasted some 6 years).
So no, you do not have to pay for this if you have already bought it, and even if you do have to buy it the price will still be much cheaper than previous offerings. And if you like Win7 then nobody is forcing you to update to win8 yet (though my bet is that this will change with the release of the new xbox as the win8 store *should* be able to have all downloadable nextbox games)

Dont be dumb. Bloatware is unnecessary software or features that cause the computer to run slowly when there is no reason for it to. XP was bloatware, Vista was bloatware, even win95/98 were bloatware. All of these platforms were released and pushed the hardware of their day to the absolute limits. Win7 cut out a ton of bloat, and win8 has taken that further.

Its perfectly fine to hate win8. Just don't be a moron in the process.

albert 89

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
So for $40 they rearrange the deck chairs on the win8 ship. Should be free as a way for M$ to say to its customers that they are very, very, sorry for being inconvenienced !
But that's not the real world.
Still gad as hell I've got my win7,
thankyou Jesus !

albert 89

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
So for $40 they rearrange the deck chairs on the win8 ship. Should be free as a way for M$ to say to its customers that they are very, very, sorry for being inconvenienced !
But that's not the real world.
Still gad as hell I've got my win7,
thankyou Jesus !

InvalidError

Titan

Same for me. The only reason I gave Win8 a chance is because of the $15 very permissive upgrade promo. If I need to re-install the OS for whatever reason, I might be going back to Vista which I upgraded from. (I forgot where I put my Win8 digital download and key.)

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I would maybe pay $10 for this update. Okay, that's me being cheap. $15 if you guys bring back the start button and let me bypass the Win8 tile interface.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I am guessing the $40 is the limited upgrade deal for Windows XP/Vista/7 user, NOT for current Windows 8 users. Just like last time (from July 2012 to Jan 2013). Remember Windows 8 currently still sell for $100 and up. There are NO WAY MS dare to charge Windows 8 users to upgrade to 8.1...

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Polish a turd, and it's still a turd. Users will still need a 3rd party (stardock, ect...) to fix winblows 8. How's Win 8 for buisnesses? Answer 1-2% Globally (rounded up). Vista still has a higher marketshare (especially in buisness). M$ welcome to OS fail.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I heard from a Microsoft employee point-blank that the first item out will be described as a Small Form-factor OS. He even said that it was officially called that internally.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Microsoft either refuse to understand and/or are just ignorant and continue on the path of failure with futile attempts to force a user base into a specific process/UI that only benefits Microsoft and not the consumer. One interface does NOT fit ... just like one Automobile can't "do it all" ... such a simple concept yet complete denial of reality from Microsoft.
Blind optimism to see them thru the day ... I can see all the PM's just cashing out while they still can and Microsoft still have some money left. It's sad to see all the bobble-heads just agreeing with whatever is tossed at them.

hammer85

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I find it extremely ugly. Especially the buttons looks like I am using old classic 95 theme. Damn you Microsoft :(

Wes DaMan

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Okay Apple here's your chance ... sell us an OS that is compatible with all wndows programs ... take MS's stranglehold away and stop them from forcing a lousy OS on us ... YOU'LL MAKE BILLIONS .... !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.