Freshly Built Computer - BSOD Critical Process Died when I try to install windows 10

zoltman1991

Prominent
Oct 4, 2018
MOBO: Asus Prime z270-p
CPU: i5 7600k
RAM: Corsaid Vengeance 16gb 2400mhz
GPU: Asus GTX 1060
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 250gb
PSU: EVGA 750 Gold

Just got a USB Windows 10 from Fry's, tried to install it. It asked to select either 64 or 32 bit. When I select 64 bit, it has a load bar that states loading files. After it's completed, I see the windows logo and a circling dot below it. A few seconds later, blue screen of death stating that Critical Process Died.

Please Help!!!!!

I updated the BIOS so the latest (1205)
Reseated RAM and GPU (haven't checked CPU because that is more sensitive and will require more work. I'm paranoid that when I placed my CPU in i bent pins as it was going down. Is this common? When I placed it in the socket, as I was aligning it, it kinda plumped down. Not hard or anything, but just gravity did what gravity does. I Don't think it would have damaged anything because it was essentially already in the socket when i plumped down.

Anyway, CPU issue aside, please help!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Often i find that errors during installation of Win 10 are caused by ram. Try running memtest86 on your ram sticks, 1 stick at a time, up to 8 passes, Only error count you want is 0, any higher is likely cause of the errors. Remove/replace sticks with errors

Another thought is its the USB installer itself.

At that early stage of install, its using ram as a storage location for the installer, it hasn't touched the drives at all yet. So it is likely to be ram or USB, or perhaps CPU but we test the 1st two before we worry about CPU :)

zoltman1991

Prominent
Oct 4, 2018

The RAM is brand new so I definitely hope it's not that. It's registering on the BIOS, at least. I'll check that test later. I was on the phone with Microsoft and they took your second route - the USB. They had me redownload the ISO and essentially reformat the one provided with this one. She said something about the original one was missing an installer folder of some sort. Idk. I bought it at Fry's so I'd hope it wasn't faulty.

zoltman1991

Prominent
Oct 4, 2018

Got it figured out! IT WAS THE USB!

Oh wee. When I downloaded the ISO and put it on the bootable USB drive as per Microsoft Support's instructions, it worked like a charm. Flawless start up. No BSOD yet. Hitting Fortnite at Epic with 120fps and League of Legends at like 240fps.

I'm digging it so far! First computer ever seems to be successful! Going to try running some stress tests to ensure stability.