Question Fridge Causes Pop On Speakers / Page Scroll Causes Buzz

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I've done a lot of reading around the topic, and although it's a commonly reported problem, the answers given are confusing and require very expensive hardware to try and eliminate. when I'm not sure what the issue is.

To explain then; I have a home PC set up, with 2.1 USB powered speakers & subwoofer connected to the case, via USB and the 3.5 jack on British domestic power & plugs. There's two issues which I think are connected; when my refridgerator powers down during its cycle, there's a short sharp POP from the subwoofer. And secondly, there's a buzzing noise from the speakers, and also USB powered headphones, when scrolling on a webpage, like the normal background static but suddenly much louder. It doesn't affect my bluetooth headphones, so it's something with along the physical wiring somewhere, rather than RF signals etc in my flat.

What I've done so far;

Complete reinstall of Windows 10, driver updates etc for a different reason. This didn't change it.

Replaced the GPU, as I fear the old one was failing. This hasn't changed the noise.

Cleaned as much of the inside case and motherboard as I can. No difference.

Moved all the plugs for the computer, monitor, printer and ISP modem hub (and thus all the electronics near it) onto the same, power surge protecting multiplug. This hasn't helped.

Turned off the fridge entirely. This of course stops the POP but doesn't affect the static noise, so it's not the fridge causing that.

From what I've read, it might be an issue with the actual wiring and grounding of the electricity in my building? But the guides online didn't explain well how to prove that, nor any solution except hideously expensive "current regulators" etc. It would be a lot of money to get a sparky out to trace the tangled wiring in the ancient building just to deal with static in speakers...

What else might it be, and what solutions (simply explained please) could there be?

Thank you.

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Sounds like you have an electrical issue. Maybe a crappy ground or shared neutral somewhere. Time to call an electrician.

Thank you for that, I'll get onto the landlord to check the grounding for the fridge pop at least...

... however, I think I've accidentally found the real issue. It'll need a few days of listening to be sure, but the static is largely gone now. As is a few other issues where the cursor kept disappearing in a few games (Vermintide 2 in particular)... I replaced my USB mouse today, and when the new one was correctly installed, the buzz from the speakers appears to have gone.

Once I knew to google for the mouse, not PSU or motherboard etc, I found a few obscure posts with the same issue, so I'm hoping I'm on the right track.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Just bumping this, as I've had a few more months with the issue;

It's not the plugs, at least as far as I can tell as an electrician put something on the 3 pin (I think he said a capacitor, but I'm not sure) and it's still popping and I get speaker buzz.

I bought a second hand Sony SRS D21 speaker set which apparently has shielding, and I didn't hear the buzz then.

I then purchased a brand new direct replacement for my Creative Pebble V.3 and the new subwoofer also has the scroll buzzing; From reading around these are not shielded, so I think it's a fault developing on the motherboard or maybe the PSU, and the speakers are picking up a resulting field?

Next step was upgrading the PSU anyway, so I'll do that and see if the problem goes away. Any further suggestions as to what I can look at as well would be appreciated.

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
PSU upgraded, it wasn't that; something else in my PC set up must be generating an interference field... Motherboard or monitor are the only things left not eliminated. Time to look at some decent, cheap, shielded speakers then. The Pebble V3 are good, very cheap... but not shielded. Boo.

Jan 13, 2023
How about a faulty USB port or something simple as having your mobile on the table.

Can you go into speaker configuration and change speaker settings and test, just to rule out possible config issues.