Feb 8, 2023
Hey all

So long story short I bought a problematic board/CPU that would NOT boot to bios for the life of it (GA-Z97X-UD3H (rev. 1.0) & Intel i7 4790K) figuring I could figure out someone else problem

it wasnt even posting to BIOS, would just start run for about 2 seconds and then shut off and try to reboot itself, and just loop

So i troubleshot the heck out of it but had no luck. Not having a stash of 1150 socket chips/boards around, I ordered a cheap i5 off ebay. From all the troubleshooting I did, I was 99% sure the board was toast/it had a bent pin/the bios was corrupt or something along those lines. So I pop in the i5 and BOOM fires right up, no issue. So I popped in the i7, still reboot loop.

So it was on an old BIOS and i thought "Hey, if i update the bios to the newest one, maybe itll fix the reboot loop!" No. updated the BIOS to F6 then to F9 (on the i5) popped in the i7 and nothing.

Is this chip fried? Like it was overclocked without heat or something along those lines? Really think its toast, but I really just want it to work lol.

Just wondering if this is typical of a fried chip, Cheers

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
Sounds like the motherboard is fried. Get one that is out of the box compatible with your CPU. If that does not work, get a new CPU.
It's most likely the motherboard but you cant know until you try

Feb 8, 2023
I know it sounds like the mobo is fried, but it isnt. The i5 runs fine (24 h + running uptime in the bios) without issue

No idea what prompted me to buy a chip instead of a board (price?) but I was pretty stunned when the i5 booted without issues.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
by any chance, did you delided your i7 ? i had the same problem with mine. after about 2 years the liquid metal spreaded and fried something i think. The CPU was toasted but the motherboard was fine. I tossed the CPU and bought the motherboard i still have in my signature lol. along with a 1700x that i upgraded later.

Reactions: terhaar333
Feb 8, 2023
by any chance, did you delided your i7 ? i had the same problem with mine. after about 2 years the liquid metal spreaded and fried something i think. The CPU was toasted but the motherboard was fine. I tossed the CPU and bought the motherboard i still have in my signature lol. along with a 1700x that i upgraded later.

I bought it used, I dont think the previous guy tried to delide it but it is a possibility how it just does NOT work lol. Sounds like its a toasty piece of toast now. Too bad being 4 GHZ :mad: ty for your reply (y)