FRIED GTX 1080 8gb Gigabyte windforce

Oct 15, 2023
So… Here’s what happened:

Long story short, I got scammed. A guy wanted to trade my RX 5500 xt for his 1080 8gb, which as I prefere NVIDIA, I ended up agreeing to the trade.

It turns up the graphics card he gave me was fried, idk what could be the problem with it.

When I installed it, the fans spun but the Widnforce logo didn’t light up and I got no video(I've tried using the GPU HDMI and Display), at first I thought it could’ve been a problem with my PSU, as I only have 1(8 pin PCI connection instead of 2) and it is only 430w

When I do plug the GPU in, I get no display from my motherboard unless I have the On board device option on. Apparently windows boots up normally because it wouldn’t turn off with just 1 click to the power button.

When I do enable the on board device option, and use the intel graphics, I see that windows didn’t even show the GTX 1080 8gb on the Device manager.

Here's a picture of what the GPU looks like inside

I know fs he scammed me because his marketplace profile is gone, his number was a fake number and he blocked me.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What PSU? I can't think of a 430W PSU in the world that's good enough quality that it should have a GTX 1080 connected to it. It's pretty much all junk-tier such as the old Corsair CX 430 before they made the CX line actually decent, an atrocious Thermaltake Smart, and an EVGA 430 W1 which is nearly as bad. Only one that comes to mind that would get to the level of mediocre is a really old SeaSonic M12II that hasn't been made in more than a decade if memory serves.

In other words, while it's likely that you were scammed from the results, it's not certain if you were running the GPU on a PSU like these. It may have just been a matter of time before your PSU destroyed the GPU.

Oct 15, 2023
It was an EVGA PSU, and I'm pretty sure the guy scammed me. As soon as I got home I checked the PSU connection and tried texting him asking if he would be able to revert the trade, but I got hit with the green bubbles as soon as I texted them. I'll try the GPU with a better PSU later this week. But I did try to fire the system without the PCI-E cables first. So I could get the " you need to plug the extra PCI-express" cables to make sure the GPU was at least turning on.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It was an EVGA PSU, and I'm pretty sure the guy scammed me. As soon as I got home I checked the PSU connection and tried texting him asking if he would be able to revert the trade, but I got hit with the green bubbles as soon as I texted them. I'll try the GPU with a better PSU later this week. But I did try to fire the system without the PCI-E cables first. So I could get the " you need to plug the extra PCI-express" cables to make sure the GPU was at least turning on.

A lot of GPUs won't fire up at all without the PCIE cables connected. I know my RTX 3080 won't.

Oct 15, 2023
Your sure to say a GTX 1080 not a GTX 1070 because that's a GTX 1070 board. See where the GPU chip sits on the GTX 1070 That's where yours is sitting. :unsure:

Uhh! Even worse! I have the GTX 980. Gosh! I feel stupid now, this was a no brainer, only if I had searched before I would've known that I was getting the wrong GPU.

View: https://imgur.com/a/mbnsgPH
<-- Here's what the GPU I've got looks like.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well... I just found out the supposed "GTX 1080" is actually a 980 or sum like that.

When you get a proper PSU, test again.

There's still a chance that the GPU is fine.

For the future, I'd really avoid ever swapping components unless it's someone you personally know very well. When you buy a used GPU on eBay, you have certain protections. You don't on places like Facebook Marketplace and you certainly don't if you're swapping parts with someone.

Reactions: stonecarver

This is a GTX 980 board.

I think you have a GTX 1070 board but is it missing memory chips at least looking at on line pics vs your actual GPU board. Just want you to have all the info, If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Oct 15, 2023

This is a GTX 980 board.

I think you have a GTX 1070 board but is it missing memory chips at least looking at on line pics vs your actual GPU board. Just want you to have all the info, If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
uhh! I'm very confused about the board I have there tbh. The board you sent me doesn't look like the one I've got here

Oct 15, 2023

This is a GTX 980 board.

Just found out here, It's a 970.

Oct 15, 2023
https://www.overclock.net/threads/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-h2o-air-bios-tweaking-ô-ô.1544574/page-212

Digging deeper this is as close to match I could find. This would also explain the what seemed like missing memory. As the GTX 980/970's only had 4 Gb's of memory.

Like already mentioned I just might work with better power supply. And again sorry you got swindled.
Yeah... Thanks for the help tho! I'll try a better PSU and I'll let you know. I appreciate your time.

Ouch. At least with eBay you could file a claim saying your item wasn’t as described and 9 times out of 10 eBay will side with the buyer.

If worse comes to worse, you can pick up for example a used 5600xt gpu for about 110. Sometimes you catch a deal though. I snagged one the other day for 70 bucks and $14.50 shipping. So you could go that route as well. Or if you prefer nvidia I think a 2060 can be found around $125. Though personally I prefer amd gpus, but to each their own.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
OP

when you mention "marketplace", do you mean Facebook? That place is a nest for scammers, who will disappear like ninja after a scam. One common tactic is they will make several fake accounts, then those fakes will be praising the seller as "good seller" to lure victims. Sorry to hear on your unfortunate experience. This is a lesson in life that will make you more alert on such things.

goodluck. Maybe the gpu would still work with a better psu...