Friend built good gaming pc but fps is really low and cant figure out why

nwelbo7789

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
One of my friends just built his first gaming pc and its specs are: Motherboard; Gigabyte B360M DS3H, Cpu- i3 8100, Gpu- gtx 1060 3gb, 16gb ddr4 ram, 500w powers supply, and 1b hardrive.

After getting set up today he tried to play cs go on it and is only getting like 15 fps when he should get near 200 with his build. I had him download msi afterburner and his gpu is running at 99 percent while his cpu is running at at around 20 percent. He has the graphics card selected and not integrated. I have no idea what is wrong with it and am hoping someone can help.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
There's no selection of which to use. Where is the monitor plugged in? The motherboard or 1060?

If it is the GPU then he needs GPU drivers or a non stolen copy of Windows. No way GPU useage should go above 30-40% on csgo with his cpu

nwelbo7789

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017

He said that he was sure that the monitor was plugged into the gpu but i will ask him again to make sure. He doesnt have a stolen copy of windows he doesnt even own a full copy, he has the watermark on the bottom right saying activate windows but i dont think thats the problem because i have friends who have played without owning windows for years with no problems. I dont really know a lot about setting up a motherboard because i have never built a pc but could it be something with the bios on the motherboard not being updated or something.?

nwelbo7789

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017

Just had him download and run set up on all 3 and he restarted pc and it did absolutely nothing. I have pretty much tried everything I can think of and still have no idea what the problem is. Graphics card drivers downloaded, chipset downloaded, checked to make sure hdmi is plugged into gpu, windows updated. Im guessing it might be something with a the gpu or cpu not working properly but i dont know how to fix it.

nwelbo7789

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017

cpu is running at no more than 35 degress c., so its not overheating. Anything else anyone can think of to try???

TRENDING THREADS