Friend having troubles with crashing/frames with this build.

For that game, yes the system is capable, apart from the one obvious thing you've pointed out already.

Nearly half of the 4gb is reserved for hardware components and back-round tasks. Running any game means that you are limited to about 2-3gbs max of system ram for gaming. This is not enough for most modern games. I'd suggest 8gbs at a min.

what res monitor is he playing at? that's a factor too!

drabspirit

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

He plays at 1920x1080 but Fortnite has a setting to virtually lower it, so i've had him try the 1366x768 and 1280x720 resolutions and they show a little bit of an increased performance. But it as I am thinking then? Ram is the main issue :p

Running out of system ram while gaming, can have a real adverse effect. FPS can be butchered. It's because once the ram maxes out it starts using the windows swap file, which is on the HDD and is really slow, and can impact gaming bigtime.

Having 8gbs is more the norm, even the min now. Most system builders will have 16gb as the sweetspot as most AAA games coming out now and even those already released like BF1/COD WW2 use upward of 9gbs whilst playing at 1080p.

The goalposts have shifted so having a min level of hardware is essential.

Also, the GT1030 2gb is adequate for low-medium settings for 1080p. It's not a fantastic card. For eSports and light titles it's fine, but it's not gonna push high settings on Fortnight at 1080p 60hz/FPS. It's just not that kinda card.

edit: I did see this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn8wJl9wqGo

At low settings at 1080p it's pushing decent FPS. The vid has a much better CPU though, so that will really be a huge difference in max FPS.

if you skip to 1.30mins you will see how much system ram is used. At that res it's over 5gb! Admittedly it's on higher settings, but you get my point!?