[SOLVED] Friend is having issues installing Win10 on his newly built pc

alexochoa700

Commendable
May 15, 2018
A friend of mine is having trouble installing Win10 on his new PC that he had built a few hours ago. I’ll try my best to describe the issue. Basically, when he starts up his PC, it boots up normally with no issues, he gets to the Windows Setup tab where it asks for your timezone and keyboard language, once when he clicks next; the tab that has the Install button in the middle comes up and a few seconds later his screen goes black and his PC restarts for no apparent reason. This has even happened after he clicked Install quick enough to beat the the PC from restarting but it does so otherwise. He has an MSI motherboard and is trying to install Win10 off a USB. We’ve done everything from rearranging the boot priorities in their correct order, made sure it’s all running off UEFI, and checked to see if AHCI mode was enabled (as told in a video i watched). Nothing on YouTube seemed to give a clear answer nor did it look like anyone else was experiencing this issue. I’ve never really done OS stuff as I’m more familiar with hardware installation. If anyone has any unique answers or solutions to ones we’ve already stated please help us out!! :??:

Note: I don’t think this is too important to note but prior to this issue, we were having CPU overheating issues but resolved it shortly after

Solution
Best way to test them (and the only way at this point in your situation) is to swap them with a new or known working unit and retest. As I said in the last post, whether it is the PSU or not, you're winning by replacing the TT. Just make sure whatever they do get to replace it is good quality (that has nothing to do with wattage) otherwise you can easily run into the same problem.

Never go cheap on a PSU! See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/
Aug 15, 2020
Other friend here.

When he boots up his PC, everything seems fine until the screen goes black, turns on, goes black, turns on, and then he sees these, what I assume are ?artifacts?, that look like upside down U's at the bottom of the screen, which are composed of horizontal white lines.

It then goes to the windows installation page, (when he has the USB plugged in) and then it goes black. We've only really gotten to the installation page and the bios, bios works fine.

When he first turned on the PC and went to bios, the CPU was at 89C while doin nothing. He then tightened the screws on the cooler and it's now at around 50C-58C while just in the bios. So that was the problem with the CPU overheating doing nothing. Basically sorted out (to his extent).

I'm not sure if the ACTUAL name of the SSD he's using, is supposed to show up on the boot priorities list, but it's not. (I don't think) I'm also assuming that the USB IS being read, since it DOES go to the installation page, before it goes black again. CPU Fan is working, preinstalled case fan is working, (I think) the GPU is working? SSD has a light on it, showing that it is at least getting some power to it. I'm not really sure about the RAM. The memory does seem to be in properly, but I don't know if there's a problem there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
everything seems fine until the screen goes black, turns on, goes black, turns on, and then he sees these, what I assume are ?artifacts?, that look like upside down U's at the bottom of the screen, which are composed of horizontal white lines.

that sounds like a hardware problem to me, I have moved thread to systems as it might get the help it needs here :)

Reactions: statusmod
Aug 15, 2020
Okay, so update. He put the SSD in the other M.2 slot and now it's showing up in bios. he's gonna reinstall windows on the usb and try again. I'll update if anything comes up.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also what is your PSU make and model?

So correct me if I'm wrong, in summary:
  • The system goes black and restarts during WIndows installation
  • Seemed to have some short CPU heating issues
  • There may be artifacts appearing
I'd also as first port of call go through each and every single step here - even if you have done some of them before, but this will also get you to inspect CPU: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/

Aug 15, 2020
Also what is your PSU make and model?

So correct me if I'm wrong, in summary:
  • The system goes black and restarts during WIndows installation
  • Seemed to have some short CPU heating issues
  • There may be artifacts appearing
I'd also as first port of call go through each and every single step here - even if you have done some of them before, but this will also get you to inspect CPU: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/
He has a 430W Smart Series Thermaltake PSU
image0.jpg

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately an awful PSU.

No one can say for definite what the cause of your issue is without experimenting with various components, but I can say immediately that the TT Smart is a terrible PSU and can be a very common cause for GPU artifacts and random restarts.

On top of that, whilst a good quality 450W would probably be fine with your average 5600XT system, generally it is recommended to have at last 500W with it, the AMD site specificies 550W (they usually buff this figure up a bit firstly for clearance but also knowing people can buy bad quality).

Even if it wasn't the PSU causing this issue I'd want to change it. But it's certainly possible it is causing the issue.

Do you have any spare components you can use to test?
Also it would be good if you could get images of the potential visual abnormalities you're seeing.
If there are artifacts, first things to test quite often are your GPU and PSU (asides monitor and cable).

Aug 15, 2020
I know, I will still refer to it as "your" simple because it's easier than constantly saying "your friends" :)
I've edited my post above slightly to ask a couple more questions.

These are the weird things popping up on his screen. He's using HDMI with this same monitor and never had a problem when it came to using his PS4. He has no spare components. We're all noobs when it comes to PC building but we did everything correctly, following tutorials and using research. We don't know how to test the GPU and PSU.
image0.png

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Best way to test them (and the only way at this point in your situation) is to swap them with a new or known working unit and retest. As I said in the last post, whether it is the PSU or not, you're winning by replacing the TT. Just make sure whatever they do get to replace it is good quality (that has nothing to do with wattage) otherwise you can easily run into the same problem.

Never go cheap on a PSU! See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Solution
Aug 15, 2020

Do you think this PSU would be fine? I personally have an EVGA PSU and it works fine. Only problem with this one that I have (isn't the one in the link), is that now and then it makes a decently loud sound. Other than that, it works fine for me.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dm...-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-110-bq-0600-k1

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you think this PSU would be fine? I personally have an EVGA PSU and it works fine. Only problem with this one that I have (isn't the one in the link), is that now and then it makes a decently loud sound. Other than that, it works fine for me.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dm...-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-110-bq-0600-k1
Definitely better than the Smart series. It's one of EVGAs mediocre/middle ground units, it's certainly not fantastic but should certainly be good enough. That should be fine.