Friend wants to sell their cust rig.

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
A friend of mine build a PC late summer of 2013, and he wants to sell it to have money to build a new computer. I've already tried making him wait awhile since his rig really isn't that bad and can last a lit longer than a year but he doesn't want to hear it. He claims that building a computer will raise the value by a stupidly large amount, and that the fact that it's used won't matter due to the "extra value from it being custom built". Anyway, he not only wants to sell the rig but also his peripherals and monitor, and he somehow came to the conclusion that he is going to sell everything for almost $2500 USD. The computer he built is rather brand biased (mediocre overrated RAM, unnecessary motherboard just because " ASUS is the best, dude", Nvidia GPU because AMD makes "ovens that can't play Minesweeper" etc.) So this rig isn't really worth what he played yet hE expects so much for it. I'll leave a PCPartpicker link with all of his parts and I'd like to know what you think he can realistically get for his rig.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wJcddC

Solution
Your friend needs better drugs, or to get off the ones he's on.

If the pcpartpicker list comes to $1600, and it's used, and he want's $2500, he needs to go to school and learn math.

Computers, as most things, depreciate over time, not increase.

I'd pay maybe $600-700 for that system. It's nothing special and you could build better today for $1600 including a better GPU that would actually max out games.
Your friend needs better drugs, or to get off the ones he's on.

If the pcpartpicker list comes to $1600, and it's used, and he want's $2500, he needs to go to school and learn math.

Computers, as most things, depreciate over time, not increase.

I'd pay maybe $600-700 for that system. It's nothing special and you could build better today for $1600 including a better GPU that would actually max out games.

Solution

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I have tried so many times to explain to him these things, but he thinks
1. Custom built PC's that aren't from brands such as Alienware are worth more than the part prices.
2. People who want a computer known to already work will pay extra

What I don't get is if his logic is truly what he thinks is right, then why would he tell me he wouldn't ever buy a used computer himself? It's strange, he seems to be thinking only of absolute best case scenarios.

USAFRet

Titan

Let him try to sell it. See what happens.
He might find some sucker.

If he thinks he can build $1500 worth of parts and sell it for $2500, then he should open a store and make $1000 sales. EVERY PC company in the world would follow his business model.

TRENDING THREADS