Friends computer displaying black screen but sound keeps going?

Guy Guyman

Honorable
Jun 3, 2015
A friend of mine is having trouble with his computer recently. It will randomly cut out the display and the sound will keep going from whatever he is doing. He recently installed a new gpu (a vega64 I think he said?) and assured me he removed the old drivers via DDU. He also did several stress tests and checked the temps and said they were fine. Any thoughts?

Which model exactly? Please provide picture if possible. It is most likely CXM series, but there are 2 versions - old (green and white letters on black nackground) and new (black letters on grey background). The former is crap in terms of quality to begin with and is likely even worse after 5 years of usage. The latter is actually quite good, so it is important to know what he has.

I am asking because Vega 64 can use in excess of 300W under load (and that is just for the card alone!). Depending on the rest of the rig, if he has a powerful CPU which is also overclocked, that can easily add another 150W of consumption. Add motherboard, disks, fans, addin cards, RAM and you are already at 500W of continuous power draw. That is OK if the PSU is up to the task and can really provide advertised 750W, but it is likely not the case.

Guy Guyman

Honorable
Jun 3, 2015

Turns out he has a TX750M. That one of the problem ones? Sorry for the long delays in between our schedules are really bad so we can't exchange info quickly.

Guy Guyman

Honorable
Jun 3, 2015

He does not have a spare that I know of and he has everything at stock settings as far as I remember. I don't believe he's switched out any other components recently.