Question Friends laptop has games crash to the point where its unplayable

Sep 4, 2024
Hi yall,
My buddy has a Lenovo legion laptop which has a 10th gen intel and a 2060 in it and it will crash in most games, but under very strange circumstances. As a preface, i have had him do an os reinstall (windows 10) already and the problem improved slightly, but it is still crashing in most games.

Strangely enough, games running in the source engine and some others such as the binding of Isaac, terraria, project zomboid, and tabletop simulator do not crash, but things like helldivers, phasmophobia, dead by daylight, barotrauma, lethal company, barony, content warning, hitman, and most other games will crash. The only game that ever gives a crash report is dead by daylight (i will get screenshots later in the day) and to my memory they state that the game has a memory leak and on occasion it will say ran out of video memory. But, when i look at his video memory and allocated memory, everything looks fine and games are not taking up the entirety of his VRAM. To my knowledge XMP is on and that is my next suggestion to him to try.

Most of the time these crashes will happen within 5 minutes of opening the game, but on some occasions we can get a solid 30 mins out gameplay. After reinstalling the os, it would last 45 - an hour, but it has returned to pretty quickly crashing. We did the os install 3 weeks ago.

Applications that run in the background of his computer pretty much always is GeForce shadow play (for clippies), discord, steam overlay and steam, Corsair icue, and then standard windows shenanigans. Last night we did a run with helldivers where we shut everything except for discord and steam and it lasted into a mission but crashed 2 minutes into that. To my knowledge there are no other background tasks going on. (There is a chance one drive may be going ham, but he is unsure and was unable to confirm that)

Temps are typically under control and I’ve never seen him thermal throttle. He also has not experienced any BSODs from this issue.

Another issue he has which I believe is unrelated, but may be i suppose, his palm rest has had multiple issues over time and is slowly getting worse, his left alt, multiple function keys, esc key, and a couple others dont work at all. Track pad works fine, he has mentioned that most of the time the crashes happen and lock up when he makes an input, but this is not consistent and may just be a coincidence.

I have had him reinstall all drivers, the OS, all games, (and multiple other things i can’t remember at the moment), i suggested him order a new kit of ram to test if that fixes the issue, but due to his tight financial situation we wont be able to do something like that for quite a few months. This issue has been persisting for well over a year now and we are getting fed up with the hassle of it.

I will have having him send me the model information, specs, and any tests/logs that yall recommend tonight and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I am an IT professional as the manager of a computer repair shop and this computer has been stumping me at every turn and i have given up and its time to outsource to the hive mind. also i do not have physical access to this machine, as he lives in a different state at the moment.

Thanks guys,
The baron

Sep 4, 2024
Hi yall,
My buddy has a Lenovo legion laptop which has a 10th gen intel and a 2060 in it and it will crash in most games, but under very strange circumstances. As a preface, i have had him do an os reinstall (windows 10) already and the problem improved slightly, but it is still crashing in most games.

Strangely enough, games running in the source engine and some others such as the binding of Isaac, terraria, project zomboid, and tabletop simulator do not crash, but things like helldivers, phasmophobia, dead by daylight, barotrauma, lethal company, barony, content warning, hitman, and most other games will crash. The only game that ever gives a crash report is dead by daylight (i will get screenshots later in the day) and to my memory they state that the game has a memory leak and on occasion it will say ran out of video memory. But, when i look at his video memory and allocated memory, everything looks fine and games are not taking up the entirety of his VRAM. To my knowledge XMP is on and that is my next suggestion to him to try.

Most of the time these crashes will happen within 5 minutes of opening the game, but on some occasions we can get a solid 30 mins out gameplay. After reinstalling the os, it would last 45 - an hour, but it has returned to pretty quickly crashing. We did the os install 3 weeks ago.

Applications that run in the background of his computer pretty much always is GeForce shadow play (for clippies), discord, steam overlay and steam, Corsair icue, and then standard windows shenanigans. Last night we did a run with helldivers where we shut everything except for discord and steam and it lasted into a mission but crashed 2 minutes into that. To my knowledge there are no other background tasks going on. (There is a chance one drive may be going ham, but he is unsure and was unable to confirm that)

Temps are typically under control and I’ve never seen him thermal throttle. He also has not experienced any BSODs from this issue.

Another issue he has which I believe is unrelated, but may be i suppose, his palm rest has had multiple issues over time and is slowly getting worse, his left alt, multiple function keys, esc key, and a couple others dont work at all. Track pad works fine, he has mentioned that most of the time the crashes happen and lock up when he makes an input, but this is not consistent and may just be a coincidence.

I have had him reinstall all drivers, the OS, all games, (and multiple other things i can’t remember at the moment), i suggested him order a new kit of ram to test if that fixes the issue, but due to his tight financial situation we wont be able to do something like that for quite a few months. This issue has been persisting for well over a year now and we are getting fed up with the hassle of it.

I will have having him send me the model information, specs, and any tests/logs that yall recommend tonight and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I am an IT professional as the manager of a computer repair shop and this computer has been stumping me at every turn and i have given up and its time to outsource to the hive mind. also i do not have physical access to this machine, as he lives in a different state at the moment.

Thanks guys,
The baron
https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy..._5_15IMH05H/Lenovo_Legion_5_15IMH05H_Spec.pdf
This is the model series (im like 90%) sure and it has the 2060 and i7. Unsure of ram size atm