[SOLVED] Friend's newly-built PC is boot looping

spazbandicoot

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Hi there,

My friend has recently purchased some components to upgrade his old PC:

Ryzen 5 3600

ASRock B450M Pro4 (purchased about 4 months ago, before the release of 3rd Gen Ryzen)

16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz Corsair Vengence RGB Pro

Corsair RM750x (Replacing a Corsair CX430)

His Graphics card is a GIGABYTE 1050 2GB OC WF2. This isn't part of the upgrade - he's had this for about 2.5 years now. It will be replaced soon.

All in an old Corsair 600T case. This is also being replaced soon.

He has assembled all the components correctly and in the correct places, all wires plugged in the right places, triple checked by him and myself.

Turning on the newly constructed PC results in a boot loop - fans spin for 10 seconds, switch off and then switch back on. This continues to happen until turned off.

Moving RAM sticks to different slots, removing one, switching sticks, trying to boot with none, all result in the boot looping.

No bent pins or dust on the CPU or its socket.

Removing his SSD (boot drive, Windows 10) and Hard Drive do not stop the boot looping.

Removing his Graphics card stops the boot looping but then there is no display due to lack of any integrated graphics on the Ryzen 5 3600.

Placing the Graphics card back into the PC causes the PC to boot loop indefinitely until powered off.

We checked for any dust in the sockets of the CPU, RAM and Graphics Card. Saw none but blew some air into them just to make sure. Boot looping persisted despite trying as many combinations as possible with the hardware.

The problem may be that the motherboard was ordered 4 months ago and does not yet support the Ryzen 5 3600 with the current BIOS. If this is the case, obtaining a compatible CPU that will enable the ability to update the BIOS, is near impossible.

Cheers.

Ralston18

Titan
Okay:

"The problem may be that the motherboard was ordered 4 months ago and does not yet support the Ryzen 5 3600 with the current BIOS. If this is the case, obtaining a compatible CPU that will enable the ability to update the BIOS, is near impossible."

Not sure about either your requirements per se nor the constraints being placed upon you.

Are you able to return the incompatible motherboard?

If you cannot get the necessary CPU then consider another viable motherboard.

Or find a way to trade the Ryzen 5 3600 for a compatible CPU.

spazbandicoot

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Okay:

"The problem may be that the motherboard was ordered 4 months ago and does not yet support the Ryzen 5 3600 with the current BIOS. If this is the case, obtaining a compatible CPU that will enable the ability to update the BIOS, is near impossible."

Not sure about either your requirements per se nor the constraints being placed upon you.

Are you able to return the incompatible motherboard?

If you cannot get the necessary CPU then consider another viable motherboard.

Or find a way to trade the Ryzen 5 3600 for a compatible CPU.

I created this post to seek help as to what could be causing the boot-looping, and why we couldn't get the PC to post. The problem was later confirmed to be an outdated BIOS and that the motherboard and Ryzen 5 3600 CPU are not compatible until the motherboard's BIOS is updated. We don't currently have a compatible CPU available.

Returning the board is not possible since we are outside the time window of eligibility to do so as the board was purchased 8 months ago, contrary to the post.

We are currently emailing ASRock and AMD the required information to apply for AMD's short-term 'Boot Kit' loan, in order to temporarily obtain a compatible CPU (Athlon 200G) to update the BIOS.

I feel that I must once again apologise for posting Questions but ultimately discovering the cause of the problem shortly after - I've done this before in my previous posts and I feel like I've wasted people's time on this forum by doing so.

Ralston18

Titan
Thank you.

No need to apologize for posting.

Your discovery will very likely help someone else one way or another: save them time and/or frustration.

And money if they can return the motherboard in time. Or apply for the "Boot Kit".

Time was not wasted.

Reactions: spazbandicoot

TRENDING THREADS