Friend's pc wont post.

Epic_Viper9048

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
My friend has a prebuilt pc. Specs are Medion ms 7848 mobo, Nvidia gtx 745 2gb, Intel i5 4440, 2x 8gb ram and a 350w FSP power supply. Yesterday we figured out that his motherboard isnt using his gtx 745 and its using the integrated gpu instead, we went into the bios and found and option saying "initiate graphic adapter" it was set on IGD, we changed it to PEG, he saved the settings and restarted the pc. This is where it started going downhill. When he turned it back on it said "Insert a propper boot device and restart your pc". He restarted it and since then it didnt want to turn on, no output to monitor, we tried both hdmi outputs on the mobo and gpu. Sometimes it decides to do one long and two short beeps, i managed to google that its because of the gpu, but when he holds it firmly in it doesnt beep. We tried everything, removing the CMOS battery, trying to boot without the gpu, removed one stick of ram, checked all the cables, we just cant figure out why its not starting. If you could help please do cause he needs that thing for his school.

Thanks

Solution
I think that power supply may have been struggling juicing up the system when you changed it to use the dedicated GTX 745 card. I think the PSU is the highest culprit, but video card/mobo would be the next things I would look at.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
if it doesn't run anymore using the onboard graphics then it is more than likely a deeper issue than the GTX 745 card being bad.
your description usually means the power supply or the motherboard have gone bad. you would need to test the components separately in another system to really know.

guessing this thing is passed it's warranty?

saywhut

Honorable
Sep 11, 2014
I think that power supply may have been struggling juicing up the system when you changed it to use the dedicated GTX 745 card. I think the PSU is the highest culprit, but video card/mobo would be the next things I would look at.

Solution